Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xjclint

WTB Cheap 4 piece 10wt

12 posts in this topic

Looking for a cheap rod for the canal that i can set up for single hand skagit, shooting head. Would prefer something with mod fast action and a fighting butt. Hoping to keep it under $100 in case I break it on a big fish in current.

2 hours ago, xp800 said:

I have a 2piece TFO signature 10wt and a few 9wts in 4piece..I'm local to you in Marblehead 

Really looking for a 4 piece 10 wt. Need something stout for big fish in big current. Thanks though.

I have a Colton Tradewinds UD Blue 10w (4 piece) that is really powerful or its weight rating - perfect for the canal I would think. Original rod tube and sleeve.  Condition is like new, cork is clean.

Used it in Mexico for big jacks (up to 30-40lb) and it handled them.  I would let it go for $185 shipped.

5 hours ago, Killiefish said:

I have a Colton Tradewinds UD Blue 10w (4 piece) that is really powerful or its weight rating - perfect for the canal I would think. Original rod tube and sleeve.  Condition is like new, cork is clean.

Used it in Mexico for big jacks (up to 30-40lb) and it handled them.  I would let it go for $185 shipped.

Looks like they are currently on sale for $190 new. Any chance you would want to go near $150 used?

Ha!  had not seen that sale! 

I could go as low as maybe $175 shipped PayPal.  It would be insured, tracked, etc...

Given that, if I were you I'd bite the bullet and buy it new for $15 more plus ship.  Bob would warranty it and you wouldn't have to look back.

What would you say the 10wt throws as far as grains? I am hoping to load it up with a 425 head and 100 tip on a running line and boom it out there...

45 minutes ago, xjclint said:

What would you say the 10wt throws as far as grains? I am hoping to load it up with a 425 head and 100 tip on a running line and boom it out there...

Let me see...  I have a Scientific Anglers Coastal Express sinking line that really flew on that rod....o.k. it is upstairs... 350g.  But that was normal casting, fully aerializing the head, not water loading it.   It did not overload the rod at all.  There was plenty of reserve there at 350g.

Remember that you go up at least 2 line weights for Skagit style (water loaded) casting...hence:

The Colton 10w is more like a 10/11.  Several people have tested it as ERN 10/11, with the butt portion being more like an 11w.   Add 2.

So you would be looking at a minimum at a 12w to 13wt line if that line were an integrated single hand line.  Skagit plus tips I guess I would start at 400-425g and go up from there.  With Skagit casting the tip weight (100g) is not included in the head weight.  It would be included if you were to try to aerialize the line.  The extra tip weight is somewhat irrelevant as long as there is no hinging of the head and tip at the junction.  You probably already figured that out...If not, ESA would chime in...

Killi put me on a deal for an old ll bean that used Loomis blanks for cheap. Going to close this down.

By the way ticrx rods are on super sale at back country. Not the heavy weights but less than $130 each.