Bward

RI for a week...

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Staying in Providence for a week with plans to explore the coast everyday in search of stripers, albies, blues on the fly. Will also take my parents out for a few evenings of bait/lure fishing. I live in Colorado, but need to get some saltwater fish on the line a few times of the year. I've fished point judith area in the past with some success. Just wondering if anyone can shoot me some pointers for newbie RI fisherman. If anyone wants to join me for a day, that'd be cool too. Thanks!

IMGP2603.JPG

1 hour ago, Bward said:

Cool thanks, I'll go post on a some other stuff.

I sent you an email regarding the posting of what we call useless "me, too" posts and explained how they are deleted and not counted towards considering you a "contributing member" of this forum as they are just clutter and add nothing to those discussions. I did not know it was suggested to you to "get your post count up". At best, that's an incomplete suggestion :) Pointless posts like "good advice" and "thanks" are just clutter - blasting up 15 pointless responses in a few minutes, like you did earlier, will always result in them being removed.

The 15 posts is part of what it required to be considered a "contributing member" of this site - the equally relevant half is that it also takes being registered here for seven days. So you have seven days to make those 15 actual contributions - there's no rush to post "me, too" clutter. For a better explanation you can check out the Guidelines -there's a link at the top of every page :)

TimS

Doh, sorry about that, Tim!  

Bward, There is probably enough information, if you search deeply on this site, to evaluate some of the spots that are popular in RI.  There are a few other sites out there as well, where specifics are available and spots are burned pretty good, but at least there is info out there.  Some fairly benign searches will lead to decent info, and you can search out from there more specifically.  Even youtube will offer a view of a few of those spots, so you know the lay of the land you may be getting on.

Also, there are a few bait shops that will offer help in the areas you are looking for.  Some are grouchy and covet their intel, but others will offer help and guidance on gear and techniques for certain spots, especially if you start the conversation with "what is good for fishing for striped bass at **name of location here**.  Then purchasing a recommended lure in the recommended size and color and asking how to fish it will likely uncover what you are looking for, and maybe more.  They will be eager to help you better next time you go in, as well.

In the guidelines, I believe it mentions spot burning.  Be careful not to mention specifics about spots here.  You will not get specifics, and it will definitely piss off the natives.

Good luck and sorry if I pushed you in the wrong direction.

8 minutes ago, ljschroe said:

Doh, sorry about that, Tim!

Not a problem...it wasn't bad advice, it was just incomplete ;)

TimS

I totally understand the policies and you gotta keep your favorite spots on the downlow. I'll be exploring all over on foot. I'll bring cleated boots, should I bring waders for fishing the surf this time of year?