Wire For Fire

HELPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! home heating oil everywhere

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

Well get a call from inlaws that they smelling fuel.... They got a tank walled in, in there basement....I go down and theres fuel everywhere..... They call a guy that meets me there and we cut a hole and looked in and he said tank is shot... Fukkkkk... So he gives a crazy number to pump it out and cut it up and remove but said he wont touch clean up or install....so i tell him have a nice day.... I start cutting away walls and the whole bottom of tank is bone dry ....  look more and find a hole in the filter pissing away... shut the valve... and started cutting away all the soaked sheet rock and insulation.... Got 100lbs of speedy dry spead all over everything that was wet.... guess tom I going back clean it up and put down more speedy dry..... now for the help..... What next ??? degreaser?? or you guys know anything that will help clean it up right.....

man this a effffin mess that I didnt need tonight as I been puking and pooping all day and no sleep last night and grinded at work all day... 

HELLPPP PLEASE 

I think your right with speedy dri, kitty litter or sawdust. 

Do you have a barrel away from house to burn contaminated stuff? It will smoke black. 

Just now, Dave588 said:

I think your right with speedy dri, kitty litter or sawdust. 

Do you have a barrel away from house to burn contaminated stuff? It will smoke black. 

lol i live in gitland theres no fires on school nights here ..... there gotta be something else to kill off the fuel residue.. some efff enzyme or what ... 

Is it on a concrete floor or tile?  We had an oil company deliver to our house by mistake when our tank was already filled.  The guy didn't hear the vent nose signaling it was full so is overflowed our tank and the oil was all over the tile floor and got onto the sheetrock.  Thankfully the neighbor saw the name on the truck and told us. 

They sent a guy back to clean up.  Removed the sheetrock, put down speedy dry.  Once it soaked into the speed dry he removed it and put down more.  Repeated that step numerous times.  To clean the floor he used Dawn and VERY hot water.  Then used Simple Green.

Your inlaws might be able to put in an insurance claim and have some one come out to do it for them.

Good luck and feel better!

Just now, dena said:

Turn off the power. Don't need a spark.

Fuel oil is hazardous waste...

I did turn it off for chits but we weld pipes full of it and sparks landing all in it .. it dont go boom to easy 

2 minutes ago, Suebert2 said:

Is it on a concrete floor or tile?  We had an oil company deliver to our house by mistake when our tank was already filled.  The guy didn't hear the vent nose signaling it was full so is overflowed our tank and the oil was all over the tile floor and got onto the sheetrock.  Thankfully the neighbor saw the name on the truck and told us. 

They sent a guy back to clean up.  Removed the sheetrock, put down speedy dry.  Once it soaked into the speed dry he removed it and put down more.  Repeated that step numerous times.  To clean the floor he used Dawn and VERY hot water.  Then used Simple Green.

Your inlaws might be able to put in an insurance claim and have some one come out to do it for them.

Good luck and feel better!

Thanks after few speedy drys I will try the dawn and hot water.... Its a tile floor and I gotta imagine it got under it... and yea they contacting insurance since it was the filter and not the tank maybe they get lucky...

2 minutes ago, mitchell master said:

call the county !

helpful and nice 

Homeowners insurance suggestion is good, when you get to the end, dawn cleans up everything. 

I dont know what you can do with soggy stuff besides finding a safe place to burn.

Put the soggy stuff in a big garbage bag and seal it tight, then put that in another one and seal that too.  Put them outside away from the house.  If they get lucky with the insurance company they should be able to have the company that comes in to finish the cleanup take it away.

Lots of hot water, soap, scrub brush, and a shop vac might do the trick. Then set up a fan and try to vent the area outside. I don't think you have to worry about the vapor being flammable. Heating oil has a pretty high flash point vs. Gasoline low flash point.

Get service records of when filter, burner, etc last serviced. Might want to advise the service or oil company if one and the same.... If they think they have any liability, they will/should be assisting in clean up. If they blow you off, just tell them that your insurance company was asking for their contact info......

18 minutes ago, Wire For Fire said:

I did turn it off for chits but we weld pipes full of it and sparks landing all in it .. it dont go boom to easy 

This is dangerous misinformation. Diesel may have a lower flashpoint and lower vapor pressure than something like gasoline, but it does still evaporate, and in the right conditions can still easily form an explosive mixture of fumes.