Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vce12342000

Who here has eaten shawarma ?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Feeling adventures and wanna try this with the ole lady. We never sampled any middle eastern food that I can recall. For those that have had it. What type of meat & and the style you prefer to eat it ?

Funny, just last night I had a lamb Gyro from To Beirut which is a Lebanese restaurant in Norwood MA. Shawarma is not really that much different, the main difference being the toppings and accompaniments , and even those vary place to place. The shawarma itself is just the meat portion of the dish, and is actually what is used on gyros. It can be lamb, beef, chicken, pork, or a combination. I am partial to the lamb.

Love the Late night Gyro from the place mentioned above which is the properly seasoned and properly spit cooked lamb slice thin on a pita with Tatziki, onion, lettuce, tomato, and yes, french fries.

Late-Night Lamb Gyro $ 6.99 Served with tzatziki sauce, onion, tomato and lettuce stuffed with french fries.

Shawarma Chicken/Beef Appetizer SM $ 6.99 LG $ 13.99 Served with garlic sauce or tahini. Make it Super $1

Shawarma Plate $ 8.49 Choose chicken, beef or spicy chicken. Make it Super for $1 All of our plates are served with rice pilaf and a house salad, hummus and To Beirut’s Garlic Sauce. Substitute the house salad with tabouleh or Greek salad for $2.49

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:14 PM, vce12342000 said:

Feeling adventures and wanna try this with the ole lady. We never sampled any middle eastern food that I can recall. For those that have had it. What type of meat & and the style you prefer to eat it ?

Shawarma is a true Middle Eastern dish, and you can find a bunch of good authentic spots in the middle easter/Muslim neighborhoods in Clifton, Jersey City, etc. It'll always be chicken or lamb. Pickled onions, cukes, are typical. You'll see a version of Greek tzatziki sauce served with it usually. They go heavy on the cilantro usually as well.

I personally far prefer it served with pork, as it is more tender and doesn't dry out like chicken. You won't find that in any true middle eastern place for obvious reasons. Greek places will serve a true Greek style gyro (like you'd get in Greece) with shaved pork + all the fixings you'd normally get in a gyro. They usually throw fries in the gyro as well.

OP if you are ever in NYC...

http://www.omarsmediterraneancuisine.com/

Omar's Mediterranean Cuisine
154 E 55th St, New York, NY 10022
(212) 207-8302 

Between Lexington Ave and 3rd Ave.

I've eaten a lot of shawarma.  This place has the best chicken shawarma on the planet, such that I ordered from this place for six months straight (lunch at work).  No joke.

They have a hot sauce that is like crack.  

5 hours ago, fishweewee said:

OP if you are ever in NYC...

http://www.omarsmediterraneancuisine.com/

Omar's Mediterranean Cuisine
154 E 55th St, New York, NY 10022
(212) 207-8302 

Between Lexington Ave and 3rd Ave.

I've eaten a lot of shawarma.  This place has the best chicken shawarma on the planet, such that I ordered from this place for six months straight (lunch at work).  No joke.

They have a hot sauce that is like crack.  

Thanks for the suggestion. The pics of the food on the menu looks delicious. Im rather close. I think Ill make a trip over there to try it.