flyangler

W VIDEO NOW: Goliath Grouper On a Fly - Possible?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone know of a case of a goliath grouper being caught on a fly? I just got invited on a trip tomorrow with a friend and his buddy, a world renowned fly angler. It will be a "catch what's there" trip but one of the missions will be to try to hook a goliath on a fly.

The other guy holds multiple world records and has taken more billfish on a fly than he can remember. Thus, I think he knows how to approach this endeavor. I also think he is going to try to set a record for false albacore but I don't know what tippet class. 

I am going along for the ride, catch a few albies, smoke a few cigars and then watch the show. More mate than prime subject of the video that will be recorded. Should be fascinating experience no matter the outcome. I will post photos. 

Edited by tomkaz

Goliath grouper need a lot of pressure to keep them out of a hole. It sounds like your buddy is the guy to do it if it can be done at all. That's a tough one for fly tackle, though.

Formula1 might have tried it, if he steps in. Maybe Capt. Horsley?

Some fish are inherently hard to access with fly tackle. A swordfish will at least come up to bask in the sun to enhance digestion, so perhaps a sword is possible.  Six- and sevengill sharks stay way the heck down and don't come up at all, AFAIK.  I'll bet a wreckfish or tile would be a lot of fun on fly gear, but, who wants to drift 500' of line and backing? It ain't really fly fishing.

They definitely will take the fly, landing it may be a possibility if they're like blacks but i've never been brave enough. Look up Ralph Delph, he was a master with light tackle and grouper on jigs, his observation was that big tackle and thus heavy pressure spooks em into holing up whereas on the light stuff, they sort of swim around and can be coaxed up.

If I had to guess, given my friend's habit of tempting Goliaths up to the top with live albies, we may try to raise one with an albies and then throw a giant fly at him. The old teaser & switch deal you might do with billfish. 

This is somewhat unrelated, but I once saw a goliath grouper on a flat near Boca Grande swimming around an oyster bed, in about six feet of water, while fishing on a SUP. Apparently they do come inshore sometimes, although it would be an incredibly lucky find. 

4 hours ago, Sngl2th said:

This is somewhat unrelated, but I once saw a goliath grouper on a flat near Boca Grande swimming around an oyster bed, in about six feet of water, while fishing on a SUP. Apparently they do come inshore sometimes, although it would be an incredibly lucky find. 

They are inshore all the time. They like deep cuts under mangrove shorelines and will venture along shorelines and onto flats. These are not the 200+ lbers but they are there. There are giant ones around bridges on both coasts. Like many species, the 2010 freeze, prior freezes, and water quality issues in FL have negatively affected the inshore population of goliaths. Why do you think there's a Jewfish Creek? 

Edited by Intracoastal

1 hour ago, Intracoastal said:

They are inshore all the time. They like deep cuts under mangrove shorelines and will venture along shorelines and onto flats. These are not the 200+ lbers but they are there. There are giant ones around bridges on both coasts. Like many species, the 2010 freeze, prior freezes, and water quality issues in FL have negatively affected the inshore population of goliaths. Why do you think there's a Jewfish Creek? 

Well if they've made a comeback since the big freeze, maybe there's something there for fly fisherman that is more interesting than teasing them up or jigging with backing around reefs.