BrianBM

WICC bluefish tournament

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if any Long Island partyboat is participating?  I got a rather befuddled intern at the station who didn't know.

Never fished in it, but it might be fun.

I fished it for ten years. Winners always come from the western sound. I would try Island Current fleet in city island  and the boat that sails out of the worlds fair marina.

Worlds Fair Marina is Never Enough Fishing. Agree I would think one or two in the Western Sound wll be running night bluefish trips.

FWIW: Some good fish are always taken right from the shore if you can find access. 

3 hours ago, Jmat321 said:

They ever clear up the whole cheating scandal with this tournament?  Some nonsense about boats fishing the Mud Hole or something....

Yes if we're talking about the same cheats. There was a crew of brothers/ cousins that were in hold of two of the top three fish about five years ago, maybe 3 of the top 5,  and they later were found to have caught the fish on the South Shore. They were disqualified not sure if there was a lifetime ban but havn't heard from them since. I'd bet there's still some hanky panky going on with all at stake.

Money tournaments bring out the worst in people.

I've been fishing offshore when a big-money shark tournament was going on, and listened to an angler who had caught a big mako, and was not in the tournament, auction it off to some of the people who were.

And just a few weeks ago, we saw the conclusion of a lawsuit down in Maryland in which the judge decided that someone who claimed to have caught the $1 million (or more) white marlin had broken the rules.

Cash is like chum--brings out all the sharks.  I stopped fishing competitively in part because of the lack of sportsmanship shown by so many of the anglers who enter the events.

Greek guys and his son out of city island, rumors the fish were caught be sheepsbay. Weighed his first fish 2 hours in contest. Disqualified and Wicc team locassio won in the end........... Andy is a good fisherman always in the money and doesn't cheat.

I have place 8th, 10 th and 12th with a few port prizes thrown in. Used to be like a kid on Christmas night. With all the cheating, have not fished it in the last 5 years.

13 hours ago, Flybyme said:

Greek guys and his son out of city island, rumors the fish were caught be sheepsbay. Weighed his first fish 2 hours in contest. Disqualified and Wicc team locassio won in the end........... Andy is a good fisherman always in the money and doesn't cheat.

Yes I remember the last name "cousakis" or something but chose the politically correct version when it came to my post. :) The one rule I wish they'd change is port prize can only be weighed at the port of registry. Come Sunday, guys start looking all over LI/CT to see if their blue can beat the current port prize winner. Then drive a few miles to make their $200.00.

14 hours ago, Flybyme said:

Brian, check out the angler fleet, out of Port Washington. They usually have a boat fishing the tourney.

Flybyme, I know Andy, good guy and fisherman, I live in Port, do you?

My son entered, held a port prize for most of Saturday. When I went to the WICC board I noticed a few things. For those familiar with the prize set-up correct me if I'm wrong but:

In years past weren't largest fish 1-15 rewarded, it's now 1-10. 

Wasn't the port prize always $200, it's now $125

And the registration fee went up. 

Reg fee went up.. $49 bucks now.. I still think its worth it for a chance at 25 g's.. I used to fish Fri 12 midnight to Sunday noon on a 23 ft mako center console with 2 buddies and we never got off the boat.. this year, I fished solo on my boat, 4 times, 3 times skunked and Sunday morning I had 4 fish to 10 lbs.. On Saturday Am, after fishing all night with no bites, I was set up in a perfect big fish spot.. I finally got a run off, set the hook, and it was a GOOD fish.. I fought him for about 5 mins, he broke water 3-4 times, it was big, I got him to the side of the boat, and reached for the net, got the net in the water, fish freaked out, and pulled the hook. Ive seen lots of big bluefish before, this one was 4 ft from the end of my rod, I was staring at him, he was at least 17 lbs.. probably bigger.. I NEVER drop fish once they are hooked, but this m effer got off.. I was BUMMED.. Ive placed a few times up to 7th place before, I was leading about 15 years ago on Sunday Am with a 15.3 lber, and didnt even make the top 15.. LOL.. people who cheat suck, I hope nothing but bad vibes for them.. ruins it for everyone!!

On 8/4/2017 at 7:21 PM, Flybyme said:

Boats there , live in floral park, Rich Ts night Captain for 6 years

Floral Park here too, feel free to wave if you see my 4x4 rig around town