tunez33

Need Boat Advice/Where to Look RI/MA

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey All,

I need some help, I am looking into getting a boat for next season will probably end up buying right around February/March. My Issue is where to look? Would you recommend something like boat trader, craigslist, where is the best spot? I am looking for something that I can dock in either Swansea Ma or in Narraganset RI. I am looking for something that has the ability to get to Block Island and back, any recommendations on a size i should be looking for to do that? I am guessing no smaller than 25 feet? 

As far as price range goes, I'd be willing to go up to 20k cash to pay for it. I can go higher if needed, my best friend who i am constantly fishing with is looking at obtaining a boat as well, we floated the idea of just co owning one together to help cut the overall costs down. I just need to find overall starting points and suggestions from experienced boaters.

I know the basics of finding a boat surveyor to get the boat a look over and I will be attending a boating class. I grew up on boats, my dad had one pretty much from when i was 3 to 17. His advice to me was to not buy a boat and that it's a waste of money lol.

Edited by tunez33

Finding a 25' er in that price range and in good condition...not needing any work... including motor and trailer would be a challenge. 

The guys who service my Yamaha outboard have new and used boats on there lot...might be worth a look....

Dons Marine in Tiverton RI

Co-owning anything gets tricky whether it be with a best friend or family member.  I also agree with Rmarsh about your price range.  I have also heard that Don's marine has an excellent service reputation but I walked away from them on a used boat purchase.

Look everywhere and be picky but many guys buy in Florida. There are more boats down there so prices are better and its really not that far away. I get  down to south Florida in 16 hours.

Having just lived through the process I found THT to be the best place to look. No brokers and lots of lookers who will ask insightful questions about a boat listed that you might never think of.  

You can look at boat trader etc but I never had much luck and found a couple of deals where I'm not even sure the said boat was ever really for sale