PlumFishing

Tipping mate on charter

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am going out tomorrow on a charter for 6 hours (stripers, cod, etc), and was wondering what the appropriate amount to tip the mate is.  The couple we are going with's father is paying for the charter so not sure what that costs, but I plan to bring drinks, snacks, etc and want to pay the tip.  There will be 5 of us, and I was planning on $120. Is that reasonable? 

Thanks.

Edited by PlumFishing

Fare is probably 700 or so. 20% of that would be $140. If he does a good job and has to clean a lot of fish $150.

I don't think the mates tip should be based off a % like a restaurant.  I'd tip $100 for an 8 hour trip where the mate made a significant contribution to the effort, something more than just doing his regular job.

3 minutes ago, hanlon-surf said:

agreed 15-20%, though i generally tip that with or without cleaning.

Agree with this, but I tip based on how the deck hand worked for us. Was he a D, did he hustle to get us baits, assist with tangles, did he have patience with Rookies, did he give clear direction on how to fish, was he quick with the gaff, etc. Think waitress at a restaurant, were you satisfied with the service and did the deckhand go out of his way to ensure we had a good time and tip accordingly. I can only think of a few times that I didn't tip the deckhand 20% and up and those few times that were bad usually had to do with a disgruntled deckhand, who was not getting along with the Captn or Owner and/or was drinking too much the night before and were A-holes in both situations.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I usually tip my portion to make it 120-160 depending on how cheap the other guys on the boat are.   If the mate cleans fish, it's a solid 160.00.   

Edited by Spotburnhater

you tip a waiter 20% all he does is hand you a drink and food and ask you how your dinner was like he really gives a **** a mate gets their hours before the trip caters to you hand and foot all day and is there hours after the trip cleaning the boat this should all be taken into consideration. 20% is a bare minimum anyone should get. if you break a $100 top down it down, it comes out to like $10 an hour which in reality is squat.

59 minutes ago, NJ Dave said:

you tip a waiter 20% all he does is hand you a drink and food and ask you how your dinner was like he really gives a **** a mate gets their hours before the trip caters to you hand and foot all day and is there hours after the trip cleaning the boat this should all be taken into consideration. 20% is a bare minimum anyone should get. if you break a $100 top down it down, it comes out to like $10 an hour which in reality is squat.

It's a job, he's paid by the boat to do the job, perhaps he needs to get the owner to include whatever salary the mate needs in the fare and be done w it.  Why do these charter boats expect people to pay the mate on top of the fare?  Having a mate is not optional is it?

1 hour ago, Paul_M said:

It's a job, he's paid by the boat to do the job, perhaps he needs to get the owner to include whatever salary the mate needs in the fare and be done w it.  Why do these charter boats expect people to pay the mate on top of the fare?  Having a mate is not optional is it?

Yes, actually on a high % of charterboats it is.

21 minutes ago, MakoMike said:

Yes, actually on a high % of charterboats it is.

Mate optional, so does that mean the trip costs more w the mate or does the mate take his chances on whatever the tip is?

Cheap bastards don't get invited a second time with my group. If the mate busts his ass and is a good guy my friends and I take very good care of him. Usually in the 20 percent area. That being said some of these offshore charters that get 2400-3000 bucks  a day the percentage is on the lower side say 15%.

On 7/27/2017 at 7:12 PM, Paul_M said:

Mate optional, so does that mean the trip costs more w the mate or does the mate take his chances on whatever the tip is?

Depends on the boat. You have to ask.