Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robc22

10 percent of fish caught globally are discarded.......

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

10% is nothing.  I'd bet every nickel I have that more than 50% of the bass kept from the canal go to waste.  They either end up in the trash after some chest pounding and photos or the fillets get unused and tossed from the freezer down the road.

35 minutes ago, frezzy said:

10% is nothing.  I'd bet every nickel I have that more than 50% of the bass kept from the canal go to waste.  They either end up in the trash after some chest pounding and photos or the fillets get unused and tossed from the freezer down the road.

You got that right.

43 minutes ago, frezzy said:

U mean to tell me leaving a striper to bake in the sun all day on rocks or in a basket is bad for the meat???

I see many bass ruined in the sun. Few are bled. All it would take is a bit of wet cloth over the fish and it will stay nice.

Rob, I also agree that the should be no discarded fish. How to get the fussy to eat stuff and be flexible in what they buy at the market is part of the issue. 

5 hours ago, Running Ape said:

Rob, I also agree that the should be no discarded fish. How to get the fussy to eat stuff and be flexible in what they buy at the market is part of the issue. 

Well they would not have 2 be used for human consumption.........This would ease the burden of handling and icing the bycatch.........

Markets for the bycatch would be.........

Lobster bait and chum bait

Garden and Farm fertilizer

Pet food

Fish farm food

If fishermen were forced to keep bycatch as part of their quotas I can guarantee you there would be renewed interest in developing bycatch friendly gear types.........