Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fredneck

camera q

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Photography dinosaur here: Looking to upgrade to a digital camera with interchangeable lenses, probably mirrorless. I have all my old lenses from my 80’s Konica SLR 35 mm film days, (wide angle, zoom, etc.) and I was wondering what newer cameras might be compatible with my old lenses - I’d like to keep using them rather than just keep them around as paperweights.

I was using a fixed lens Fuji in the interim, so I’ve seen the light when it comes to digital. I’ve read that adapters are available to utilize old lenses, but to look for wider, heavier mirrorless cameras to offset the weight of the older lenses.

Any advice or words of wisdom are welcome. Probably looking at a budget around $400 if possible.

T.i.a!

....Fred, sorry I can't help with that.  I have the same issue with trying to use my old Nikon N80 lenses on today's modern cameras. There might be some compatibility, but not full. With your budget, that makes your question even tougher.  There are some mirrorless cameras that come close to that $$$, complete with a "kit" lens. Used cameras are another possibility, but the idea of using an old Konica lens is a stretch.  Good luck, maybe somebody here has more sage advice for you.

found a place online that sells adapters for old 35 mm lenses. i'll check it out - if anyone's interested p.m. me & i'll let ya know how it works out.

Mirrorless cameras will work with nearly all lenses out there with the use of adapters.... but in a manual focus mode and with limited communications to the body. Depends on the lens, the adapter, and the body being used. My Sony a7rII will work with full function including in body IS and AF with certain brands and adapters but the $400 price tag with be the deal breaker in most all cases for anything other than a used body and a adapter for your Konica glass with Manual focus and limited to Manual or Aperture preferred exposure modes. Any adapter that communicates to the camera body will eat up at least 25% of your budget.... My Sony adapters for adapting A mount to E mount bodies each would eat up all to 75% of your budget just for the adapters alone. That is without buying a used body to use them on.

There is no easy answer to your question and sadly $400 does not go far with todays photography prices........... if you can find a great condition Sony Nex 5 or 6  cheap the manual adapters would cost around $30-$65 and you could use your old glass in M or A mode with manual focus.... but I really think you will be far over budget and unhappy in the end unless you really REALLY like manual focus and love your old Konica glass. My bet is that the CA and other lens issues with that old glass and a 16-24mp sensor will end making you want to get OEM glass instead of using the old Konica glass. Great old glass on modern digital sensors work very well with good results but todays glass is designed for digital sensors and honestly will outperform even the best of the old glass including Leica and Zeiss.

This is why photography and camera equipment is on a slow death spiral as cellphone cameras do very well digitally and the cost of great camera gear has gone out of reach for most not making a living at it. 

thanks for the input fellas, i really appreciate it. all very informative.

as i spend more time exploring options on the interwebz i've been able to narrow down my options. being "out of the game" for so long i had to become reacquainted with the available technologies. for one, i believe i'll have to increase my budget & embrace the fact that my old lenses are just that. what do you guys think about the attributes of mirrorless vs.DSLR's? since i'm used to the size of the old 35 mm cams, i wondering if maybe moving up to a DSLR is a better transition/price point. 

...IMO, either one is a good choice these days.  it all depends on what your preferences are.  I don't have either, so no experience with either...just a plain old P+S works for me right now.  For me, size matters.

Fred, DSLR vs Mirrorless is a coin toss anymore..... when you compare full frame to full frame the size and weight differences are negligible in truth because a say 300 f2.8 is the same size whether on a full frame or a DSLR it will be 300mm from the front of the glass to the sensor and nearly 1/3 the focal length is width. Now if you compare APC to APC yeah the sizes are significantly different between a full size APC DSLR and a mirrorless APC.

I personally have not used a DSLR since my first DSLR digital which was the Minolta 7D. Since that body I have used SLT or Mirrorless bodies because I prefer LCD viewfinders over optical due to the heads up display of information and immediate exposure appearance it affords me. I have found after 40+ years of using optical viewfinders I now find I am unable to go back to them since using LCD viewfinders the last 10 or so years. To me it is like stepping back in time and riding a horse instead of driving a modern day motorcycle.

The latest and greatest mirrorless will compete with any DSLR camera toe to toe regardless of price........ but as with anything today nothing comes cheap. 

I tell everyone never to buy a camera without handling it. It is far better to have a body that feels right and the controls and user interface are in places where they are comfortable to use and make sense to you. Most any camera today from cellphone to medium format digital will perform very well for its users. It is up to the user and what they want to do with it as to what system will fulfill their needs and wants the best. No one can or should make that decision for someone else........ everyone is different and have various needs and wants.