shark lobster

Almost spooled

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

last night while fishing a area near my house just shy of high tide i was getting constant hits but no hook ups for like 10 cast , the bait was so think i could feel it hitting my lure as i reeled in, thinking it might be small fish not being able to commit i changed to a larger hooked lure , second cast i was hooked she started pulling drag like non stop so i started palming the spool to slow it down as it slowed her it did not stop her i was able to clamp down on my drag but she kept pulling , i looked down and i was at my backing i was able to stop her and get back all my line and land her . She was 20 lbs tops but gave a run like a hugh fish.i thought i might have issue with drag but checked it and its fine reel is new 8k gossa! Has anyone else have a fight like this with a fish smaller than what you thought you had?

IMG_4744.JPG

Edited by shark lobster

Have had plenty of fish take almost all except for two windings around the spool using 20lb mono in the good ol days.

When halfway down I would back off on the drag which would increase by Itself. The more line the fish dragged around the sooner it got tired. Might not work in heavy current like the canal. Might need 30lb test.

Where do you live?!  (Joking!)

I have had that happen before.  Strange combo of excitement and disappointment all wrapped into one.  They're usually foul hooked when this happens and they have all the leverage so it seems bigger than it is.  The hooks on those Storms are suspect so that adds to the suspense too!  

If the leader was too small it would snap that's not relative to the fish pulling drag. Yes bigger leader you can (lean) on the fish more but a fish taking lots of drag is a challenge.