The TideRunner

Finally!

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Decided that after painting, and other "honey do " stuff yesterday " it was time  to go fishing. Best outing ever in a long time!  Left Milford Harbor about 5:45pm, motored through school after school of bunker, head toward Stratford breakwater and was around 1 mile south of Charles Island, when the fish finder light up. A big school of something. Next thing we knew fish were breaking everywhere. Best part was, not another boat in sight.

Broke out the spinning rods and for the next half hour we had big bluefish on just about every cast! Kept 5 for the grill and the rest we didn't even take out of the water. Just leaned over and took the hooks out at boatside.. Gave up after about 20 fish. Biggest one weighed around 12 lbs. Lost one SP minnow to a bent snap, and lost a set of hooks on another. First time I ever had hooks break off a lure!

Left the blues, then headed off to find some rockpiles. Next up were porgies and seasbass. Nothing huge most were legal size fish. But sent them all back. My partner though was having a field day with juvenile seabass, and cunners. By 8pm boat was back on the trailer.. So far this season, only two robins! High low rigs, sandworm low, calm strip high. Seabass took the clams, and sandworms for porgies

In less than 2 hours we had more action than I've had in all day excursions.. Made my summer!. Now to repeat this again tomorrow, can it be done? I want to go out today, but I have a torn rotator cuff, and beat the hell out of it last night. I guess it can be called a good pain? Gonna rest it today, and back out tomorrow.

It was great finally seeing some life out in the Sound!

14 minutes ago, dleopoldi914 said:

Next season I need a boat this shore access is really tough 

Just remember all those sayings... A boat is a hole in the ocean...Two good days in a boat owners life, BOAT break out another thousand...LOL

Lot of truth in these sayings.

Mine is a 1988 with a 2011 engine I pay more for maintenance it seems than I paid for the boat!

I'm looking at an 18 footer and can get a slip for 800 a season in Norwalk  . My in-laws have a 2 car garage they don't use so will put break away tongue to save like 3 feet of space and park there for winter . 

Then there's the inevitable downtime for maintenance/repairs. Boat owners should keep their surf fishing skills up, because they are one blown engine or sheared prop away from being shorebound for a bit. :)

-bd

Good Point! Made the mistake about 30 years ago with my first boat. Sold off all my surf equipment. Guess what sold the boat and didn't get another right away  Was kicking myself. Still have a boat, and still keep at least one jetty rod handy.

3 hours ago, dleopoldi914 said:

I'm looking at an 18 footer and can get a slip for 800 a season in Norwalk  . My in-laws have a 2 car garage they don't use so will put break away tongue to save like 3 feet of space and park there for winter . 

Man I wish I could find a slip for $800. Had a shot many years ago to get a slip for 5 years for nearly nothing at an Italian Club down your way. Don't know why I didn't.

Last year I decided against joining an club for $1500 which included initiation and food and drink chits. Decided to rebuild my trailer for $3000 instead. Again, don't know why I decided to rebuild the trailer.

I played football for a long time, sometimes I think I played without a helmet.

Yeah boats can be a blessing and a curse. Just dropped mine off yesterday for engine repairs, figured I could play around with it for a month and make things worse or just drop it off and hopefully only lose a couple of weeks.

Rode through a lot of those same bunker schools yesterday morning. Even with the engine troubles I was able to cover from Fairfield to Milford and back to Stratford all I was able to find was pod after pod of happy bunker and a couple of dink stripers to avoid the skunk. 

In Norwalk went out Friday and Sunday. Moss bunker being blitzed by blues. Friday had issues with the bail on my new 712 so lost two plugs. Had to call it a day wasn't going to lose any more plugs. Then Sunday had my 704z and throw lures for 30 minutes nothing. Finally I decide to snag and drop only issue is I didn't have wire leader. Got a massive run then broken off.

Blues are definitely in strong in this area.

Now the big issue...........No fishing after 11 from the beach unless you want to walk 2 miles with gear............My other spot with minimal walking need a beach pass or $100 ticket.............Lesson here: Use wire leader this time of the year there are no stripers, Get a boat can access anywhere then, and 712 bail not made from surfcasting but the gear ratio is amazing I am on the line about trading for an old shimano baitrunner.