Birdsnester

Fluke Stomach Contents

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I've caught lots of Fluke over the years but was surprised to see this little critter in the stomach of the flattie that I landed last night.  I've often wondered what predators prey on Sea Robbins.  The bony heads and sharp spikey thingers must make them less desirable than other fish.  Well evidently Fluke like them just fine.  A Baby Robbin was found inside my latest catch.  Normally I see spearing, maybe shrimp or squid.  Has anyone had the same experience?

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

Just now, ColinF said:

Oh yeah fluke love little sea robbins. Caught many on small sea robins as well as sea robbin color bucktails

Huh I had no idea.  May have to find this Robbin color Bucktails... 

Kind of amazing how easily flounder can swallow anything it gets in it's mouth. My brother got a 24" a few years back that swallowed a whole Spot that was about 5" long. They also eat mantis shrimp in the ocean which probably inflict more damage than what a sea robin could do. 

6 minutes ago, FunkyBunker said:

Kind of amazing how easily flounder can swallow anything it gets in it's mouth. My brother got a 24" a few years back that swallowed a whole Spot that was about 5" long. They also eat mantis shrimp in the ocean which probably inflict more damage than what a sea robin could do. 

Yeah it's crazy.  Fluke have good sized teeth but it just swallowed the Robbin.  No crunching involved.

2 hours ago, FunkyBunker said:

Had a nice keeper on the North Shore of LI that threw out a good sized mantis a few seasons back, right back on the hook it went. Our early season Stripers are loaded with them too. 

I found a recently dead mantis on the beach this past weekend. Didn't use it for bait that day, but it'll be going on the hook next time I'm out. As for the sea robins, my buddy tied me a sea robin fly so I can do that one day :)

6 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

Huh I had no idea.  May have to find this Robbin color Bucktails... 

Several years ago a SOL member called Farrallex asked me for bucktails in a sea robin color scheme.  Brown back, white belly and an orange streak on the sides.  Since then they have become one of my most successful and asked for colors for catching fluke.  

IMG_2960.thumb.jpg.f57cf44452c787601644da50ee8bc084.jpgIMG_2946.thumb.jpg.123b332e749d6947c1da9660838e0d8e.jpg

They eat pretty much anything depending on where they live. We've found anything from the usual sand eels, silversides, and squid to small porgy, sea robins and small black sea bass in their stomachs.

40 minutes ago, Dan Tinman said:

Several years ago a SOL member called Farrallex asked me for bucktails in a sea robin color scheme.  Brown back, white belly and an orange streak on the sides.  Since then they have become one of my most successful and asked for colors for catching fluke.  

IMG_2960.thumb.jpg.f57cf44452c787601644da50ee8bc084.jpgIMG_2946.thumb.jpg.123b332e749d6947c1da9660838e0d8e.jpg

How can I buy some?  I really like them!

I need some of those color BTs too. One spot last year was watching small sea robins swimming around in the shallows. They were only like 4"-5" long, and only in about 6" of water. Couldn't tell what they were at first until they spread their fins out.