WharfRat71

Too many damn lights tonight by the lighthouse

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, Cascade said:

Those are the nights that even though you don't catch, you feel good about fishing.

So true. We take an annual Summer vacation up to Martha's Vineyard and among my many jaunts, day, night, dusk or dawn on the beaches, some succesful, some not, the one trip I truly embrace and treasure was one standing on the Menemsha Jetty around 3:00 AM under a blanket of stars as far as the eye could see. Not a fish on the line, no bumps, no splashes, dead. I eventually put the rod down and laid down a smooth rock and just looked up. That'll make you feel insignificant in the grand perspective of life. 

Thanks for posting WharfRat71 and I'm sure the picture does not do it justice. 

Edited by brushfly

On 7/28/2017 at 10:11 AM, brushfly said:

So true. We take an annual Summer vacation up to Martha's Vineyard and among my many jaunts, day, night, dusk or dawn on the beaches, some succesful, some not, the one trip I truly embrace and treasure was one standing on the Menemsha Jetty around 3:00 AM under a blanket of stars as far as the eye could see. Not a fish on the line, no bumps, no splashes, dead. I eventually put the rod down and laid down a smooth rock and just looked up. That'll make you feel insignificant in the grand perspective of life. 

Thanks for posting WharfRat71 and I'm sure the picture does not do it justice. 

Haven't been to the Menemsha/Lobsterville area since late 70's. On our last visit we were treated to an outstanding night of catching tiderunner Weakies from the wash at our feet using sandeels stripped from the bellies of Sea Robins while surrounded by skunks picking the sandeels off the stoney beach. We didn't bother them......they didn't bother us. Just another incident, like yours,  of enjoying life & nature at it's finest.

Thanks for your great post.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I fish Menemsha and Lobsterville every year and besides the incredible view of the heavens on a clear night I am amazed by the jet traffic heading to Europe.  A steady stream of jets going north-north east from JFK, Newark, etc.  Doesn't let up until 2am or so.

And yes, the skunks are still relatively friendly.  One night this summer I ran into a whole family on the small jetty to the right of the swimming area at Menemsha.  Four of them scrounging leftovers from the sunset crowd.

Edited by buz23

On July 30, 2017 at 6:34 AM, buz23 said:

I fish Menemsha and Lobsterville every year and besides the incredible view of the heavens on a clear night I am amazed by the jet traffic heading to Europe.  A steady stream of jets going north-north east from JFK, Newark, etc.  Doesn't let up until 2am or so.

And yes, the skunks are still relatively friendly.  One night this summer I ran into a whole family on the small jetty to the right of the swimming area at Menemsha.  Four of them scrounging leftovers from the sunset crowd.

I'm sure they're the only locals that aren't happy to see the tourist gone come fall. 

Edited by brushfly