Big Bopper

Potomac Fish Safe to Eat?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey All! I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on whether the fish near DC are safe to eat. I sometimes hear rumors about whether or not the fish are sick and I'm not sure what to make of it. I figure if I'm along part of the river where the water is moving (like down by Fort Washington) or up by Fletcher's Boathouse, then I'm alright. But if I'm near the Anacostia tidal basin, I just don't know. I live close to RFK, so fishing Anacostia would be convenient for catch and release, but would I eat fish from there? Kinda doubt it. Would really welcome any thoughts you guys might be able to share.

BB

Edited by Big Bopper

Here's a quote from the Anacostia river keeper site..

Combined sewer overflows (CSOs) are a major source of pollution to the Anacostia River with an estimated average 2 billion gallons of untreated sewage mixed with stormwater flows into the Anacostia River each year. 

i fish the Potomac way upstream, almost to the MD/W.Va. line, and i'd never consume a fish from those waters. but it's great sport!

I have friends that fish the upper regions of the  Potomac and catch and release everything. 

Now the Anacostia  is a different story. I worked in DC for a number of years at the edge of, and on that river. 

Nasty looking water.

In a word, No.

But folks do, and are alive to tell about it.

Today...tomorrow might be a different story.

But isn't it the same for everybody?

How hungry are you?

Thanks all for the comments!  Your comments reflect much of my own thinking. Might do catch and release because I live just like two minutes from the Anacostia, But I won't be eating any of it. 

I'm more surprised about the comments about the Potomac, both up north and further south of DC. I'm going to have to look into where along the Chesapeake I could access a pier or something...

You might be ok eating the migratory fish such as White Perch and Yellow Perch but I would not eat the resident fish in the Potomac and especially the Anacostia.  Though people are eating Snakeheads out of the Potomac and Anacostia. 

1 hour ago, T.C. said:

You might be ok eating the migratory fish such as White Perch and Yellow Perch but I would not eat the resident fish in the Potomac and especially the Anacostia.  Though people are eating Snakeheads out of the Potomac and Anacostia. 

Thx TC. Man snakeheads are too ugly to eat. I don't typically like the muddy flavor of cats anyway. I was thinking more about bass. 

I wouldn't eat any fish from that river, Or any river. I live on the North East river in Maryland. I practice catch and release. I will eat fish from the ocean. :worms:

Edited by hunter123

5 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I wouldn't eat any fish from that river, Or any river. I live on the North East river in Maryland. I practice catch and release. I will eat fish from the ocean. :worms:

I hear you. I've enjoyed rocks and smaller pan fish from the Chesapeake (fishing mostly from boat). Was asking about the Potomac mainly because I can be down on the river in 30 minutes. I'm not sure where the best piers are for Chesapeake access though. If you have suggestions somewhere near Annapolis, I'll take it.

Sorry, Bopper. I don't know to much about the Annapolis area. I have heard there are some docks there to fish. Some one will chime in about them. I know more about the Rock Hall and upper and middle bay area. Tight lines.

Edited by hunter123