Blu4dayz

Laptops - looking for latest & greatest

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I figured I'd throw this out to see if there's anything I've missed in the past few days.  I'm in need of a new laptop which will be used for business (basic IT functions) and personal use of web browsing, social media, and maybe a game or two (starcraft II) which aren't very demanding GPU wise.  

Here's what I'd like:

15"

i7 Kaby lake processor

Good GPU with dedicated memory - VR ready preferred

At LEAST 16GB RAM, preferred 32GB or a board that I can throw an extra 16 in @ a later date

At LEAST 256GB SS drive but would prefer 512GB

Updated USB 3.x, HDMI, mini displayports for screen share and multiple monitors

IPS screen at the least but would like a 120hz

I don't really care if I have macro keys or can change the color of the keyboard (RGB) but I would like a good keyboard with good touchpad

Decent battery life - something around 5 hours for basic work

So far I've seen the Asus 502, MSI PE62VR, CUK N850 customizable, along with customizable Eluktronics.  The last 2 companies I'm not familiar with and their products seem to be on the heavier/bigger side and not sure about battery life.  Does anyone have any experience with these models or brands?  Would love to hear your thoughts.  I don't plan on buying another for at least 5 years so this will need to be good for that long. Most importantly, I'd like to keep the budget around $1300.

Edited by Blu4dayz

44 minutes ago, IsmailG said:

I dunno, but get a Lenovo

Curious why you recommend Lenovo?  I was looking at them, but they don't seem to have much interest with good GPU unless you pay quite a bit.

My last two laptops were Lenovo, before that I had an Asus that was ok but my Lenovo y510 is the computer equivalent of a tank. Never any problems, battery life is good and it's 3 years old. Check out the y720, I think you can find a 256 GB SS version for under 1400 if you shop around.

Pretty much all laptops these days are garbage just check out the chip sets they are using garbage, Lenovo, Dell, Stinkpad & so on since they all use a Phoenix BIOS. I would go with a Macbook or Tablet order it however you like.

Now if price is not an issue I would check this one out.

These are a little pricey, but wicked fast that does not heat up like the others. https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro

My asus has been going strong since 2011. The hd crapped out, replaced it with a 1 tb 7,200 rpm drive for 60 bucks. Reformatted the old one and use it for my Steam library. This things been gamed on for thousands of hours. The new ones come with no bloatware anymore. Best Buy runs sales every now and then and they always just over a grand. Mine was close to 2k to build at the time and it was 13 hund. My buddy picked one up a couple years ago for about the same price. Id start there. Lenovo is trash.

Edited by fishinambition

Look at MSI gaming series or Alienware. Get one with a 256 or 500 SSD C: plus 1TB or greater D:

My 2 yo MSI has been great. I got a 256 SSD but wish I had gotten a 500. 

Edited by Rickman

I love being in a professional meeting setting and some millennial whips out his neon lit gaming rig.

T470S with the optional video card and 256GB SSD may push your budget by about $100 but I'd take that any day over anything from Alienware

I quit buying "New" laptops some time ago, to me they are disposable.

I buy refurbished Dell business class machines now.

If you watch the deals sites, you can usually score a 40-50% off code.

1 hour ago, woowoo2 said:

I quit buying "New" laptops some time ago, to me they are disposable.

I buy refurbished Dell business class machines now.

If you watch the deals sites, you can usually score a 40-50% off code.

:th:   Me too.