Vandevort

Stradic or Ultegra for 9' 3/4-4 Mojo

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I already have a 9' St. Croix Mojo Surf (3/4-4oz).  I currently have a Spinfisher SSV Live Liner 4500 on it, but I am taking that off to put on a different rod.  I am trying to decide which reel to put on the Mojo -- a Stradic FK 5000 or Ultegra 5500.

The primary purpose of this combo will be throwing lures to Spanish/Blues down in the OBX.  I plan to use braid (10 or 20#) on this setup, but if I get the Ultegra, one of the spools will have 10 or 12 pound mono on it.  Considering I will likely be using braid, I am curious which would cast better given the guides on the Mojo.

I already have Stradics in the 1000 and 3000 sizes that I used and love them.  If the casting distance between the two is negligible (say 5 yards or less), then I will likely go with another Stradic since I know what I am getting.

I'm curious to see what others think on which reel would cast better. 

I have both reels and the 9ft Mojo. For me the Stradic 5000 fj with 9ft Mojo is a great combo for throwing light plugs from rock ledges and jettys here in New England for Striped Bass. 1oz -2.5 oz seems the optimal weight for distance. The Ultegra 5500 XSB is much larger than th stradic and I use that for my 10ft 6 rod at the Cape Cod Canal for distance plugging on topwater.  Both are too delicate, in my opinion, for surf and sand, have sealed reels for that.. Distance is close, never had the Ultegra on the 9ft rod. I would say go with the Stradic on the 9 ft if your tossing stuff in the 1-2.5 oz range with smaller fish < 36 inches and not too much current.

Stradic. The wide arbor spool and parallel reel foot/shaft of the Ultegra will cause too much friction for that very small, very close collector guide.

If you can borrow the two reels take the hooks off a typical lure and have a cast off in a grass field. In addition to distance, you can gauge balance and general handling. For me guide size issues are overrated, I often field cast spinners on casting rods with no problems.

Stradic will be much more pleasant on a rod like that.

I use both a 5000 Stradic and a 5500 Ultegra.

Would not use the Ultegra on a 9' 3/4-4.

I would say that the factory layout on the Mojo is designed around a reel around the size of a Shimano 5000 with light braid.

Thank you everyone for chiming in.  So far, it seems like you are confirming my hunch that I would be better served by the Stradic.

Some of the newer Penn's look interesting, but it's really hard for me to move away from what I know with the Stradic and its line management.

Don't want to divert the thread, but what weight lure do you think the Stradic 5000 fk (or 4000) is good for? I mean heaviest weight for spinning.

I've used mine with a diving minnow a little less than 2 ounces and it felt like the reel was struggling a little bit with the retrieve. It's a lot happier with metal lures weighing about an ounce.

2 hours ago, Steg said:

Don't want to divert the thread, but what weight lure do you think the Stradic 5000 fk (or 4000) is good for? I mean heaviest weight for spinning.

I've used mine with a diving minnow a little less than 2 ounces and it felt like the reel was struggling a little bit with the retrieve. It's a lot happier with metal lures weighing about an ounce.

That's interesting. I regularly throw an ounce or so on the setup with my Stradic 3000 and am quite pleased with the power/ease it has on a retrieve of the lure, not to mention with a fish on.  I would imagine, for me at least, that I wouldn't feel underpowered with the 5000 for throwing up to 3 ounces.  

One of the reasons I took the Spinfisher 4500 off the Mojo was because, in my opinion, that reel felt underpowered for tossing lures.  I believe that is mainly due to what I think is a short handle on it.  It will sit on a bait rod from now on, so it's not as big a deal to me.

4 hours ago, Steg said:

Depends on the resistance of the lure.

We use them for GT Ice Creams up to 2oz happily.

The sort of rod and target fish we would use 3oz lures of this type for, are heavier anyway so would typically be used with a 6-8000 reel with heavier braid.

GT Ice Cream.jpg

Cheers Vandevort and ZAfisher.

The bibbed minnow lure I was using must have a fair bit of resistance. It was harder work for the reel than retrieving the smaller streamlined metal lures I usually use. I wasn't suggesting an ounce is the most that the Stradic can handle - it is just that I often use one ounce lures and know they're no trouble for the reel.

I want to try those GT Ice Creams. Have heard about people using them in this country, and it sounds like they work on yellowtail kingfish.