Al Sears

Navy ship Fitzgerald Preliminary Findings

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

The preliminary results of investigation Indicate the Navy Crew failure to act

Crew committed multiple errors, failure to acknowlege and act on appoach of CRX

CIC (Combat Info Center) Radar //Stb Look out,WTH were they doing, OOD did not take any action on CO standing orders if a contact comes with in 10 miles and CPA of 5 miles wake me right GD NOW

Did CIC ever inform the Bridge of the contact CRX does the Bridge have a Console for the OOD/JOOD to look at , GD just to many questions  Did they have an Man on fantail as aft lookout??? What was Stb Lookout doing, As i said before there is plenty of Blame to go around,off hand the OOD/JOOD and CIC watch standers as well as CICWatch Officer, CIC better hope they Notified the Bridge of this  contact,ship home ported in Japan some times some mid level managers let thing slide as (Out of Sight /Out of mind) Become very lax in attention to detail and in this case it came back to Bite hard.perhaps ship can be repaired we damm sure cant bring back our shipmates,whose loss could have been totally avoided    Al

Total failure at even the most basic level.

Every ship in the fleet should have a stand down to go over the basics.

I don't know the chain of the failures but if it happened on this ship odds are others are just as lax.

Al,

Thank you for sharing the info. I'm sure the radar information is stored for x period of time. Will they go back a ways and see if there has been other instances of a ship within the 10 mile limit where "actions/protocol" (for lack of a better or appropriate term) were not followed? To see if this is an ongoing issue?

Got Cow//Plum 

In 1980 the ship i was on USS Reeves  CG 24 out of Pearl Harbor was to go to Japan and swap home ports, crew that so desired could stay in place or could swap one ship to the other The ship we was to swap with was USS Worden CG 18, as i said before I elected to go to Worden as she would be back in Pearl  and i could go to Daughters High School Graduation 

The  Worden had been in Yokosuka Japan for 10 years,during this 10 years engineering wise she needed extended time in yards for over haul CIC would be up grade with new consoles lighting etc etc,  Most spaces the same all needing attention,That how ever did nothing to maintain records,logs acountabiity for classified Publications Correct Navigational charts. CIC was a Complete Disater a place just looking for a collision or Grounding  the Naviagtion Charts were a Nightmare the rest of the Portfolio's were the same they had not been corrected up to date by latest Notice to Mariners

The Naviagtion Chart was labeled withRadar Points how ever  the Lat/Long of said point was not recorder any where so Point C could be any where , no CIC log with recommendations to bridge for Naviagtaion (on Track, right of intended track No Fix  all stop.

What am i saying  Out of sight out of mind they arent going to send any one out here to conduct an inspection Lax attitude we been in and out of port so many times we know when to tun with out track, don't worry about those contacs off to  right left no doubt fisheman  (Tokyo Harbor is a Nightmare with fishing craft) doubtful if they put Naviagtion team on watch.

I was Pissed, I was in a fury Cussing and shouting what a Fxxx Mes and to men that stayed I took my anger out on then as some were Petty officers and were partially  to blame.

I handed the CIC office a roll of shyt Paper  what is this for , Well Sir To wipe your arse with at long green as the logs, custodian log and others arent worth as much as that roll of paper at long green table during a board of inquiry with all Due respect LT this GD Place is a Mess and you allowed it ,you cant talk to me that way, BS You want the Capt to know what he had behind him, Not a GD thing that would hold up in board of inquiry, I am some what Pissed off LT so let me get this place ready for sea and transit back to Pearl 

Out of sight out of mind,lets go have a Beer .  

A stand down for one day would not do a damm thing in regards to responsibilty,accountability, I was what was called Command Senior Chief ,The Senior Chief of the ship,it did not take long for men to Know I was not their Friend but their Leader, I had two of my best men Busted for BS, had one man Kicked out of CIC  and security clearence revoked, Told a Guys wife she sent her hubby to ship every day looking like a slob, and partially your to blame

it took 3 months or so for men to realize I was out in front of them running interference in regards to BS coming down the line, Flatly tell them No my men are not lackeys and you need to find some one else to take care of your problem

I cant or wont bring other ships in this discussion I can only go one these two ships, What was missing on the Worden one simple word that being ""PRIDE"" Personal Responsibility In Daily  Effort, Pride in   Uniform, Physical, Work  Space's, you Dress sharp, look sharp, your work will be a refelection of you ,you will not accept sloppy work 

Over the years on  this forum, i dont recall any that I or most would call a loser, most come across as strong individuals willing to listen yet maintaining own position     Well Done SOL        Al

17 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

I don't know the chain of the failures but if it happened on this ship odds are others are just as lax.

Frightening possibility, and quite real.  

A destroyer is easily two or three times faster, and vastly more agile, then a containership.  How would a jackrabbit "provoke" a turtle into ramming it? 

I'd make a modest wager that the bridge on the containership was just as lax as the crew on the FitzGerald, but that excuses nothing and no one.

On 7/26/2017 at 8:34 PM, Gotcow? said:

Sounds worse to me than a sport fish on autopilot running up the beach on Monomoy, as has happened.

21 minutes ago, patchyfog said:

Sounds worse to me than a sport fish on autopilot running up the beach on Monomoy, as has happened.

exponentially so.

Even civilian small boat radar systems and auto pilots could potenially have avoided this.  

I can only believe there was some sort of intent.  Foil hat me thinks to provoke an international incident or something of the like.

I agree Going back to  basic's, From my position, I see possibly a new man on surface tracking console,he detects the CRX they track the CRX and determine the ship is no threat (Cus/speed/CPA) and decide to watch the CRX, the console operator may have just forgotten the CRX  and moved on to contact's dead ahead or from   (Beam to Beam) not watching the CRXtack or getting busy watching small cluster of fishing junk they let the CRX  change  Cus and did not re evaluate  until the Point of extremis had arrived (Collison) I feel CIC just forgot about CRX and just may have had a relative new CIC watch section (CIC ) watch supervisor no doubt a Young PO2 maybe 20/21 years old and a non attentive CIC office maybe a Ltjg or Ensign  and had just been assigned from Deck to Operations dept and was going by Seniority ,rather than qualifications (still working on SWO ) Suface Warfare Officer quals, ,Still many red Flags, was the Bridge even informed about CRX, we have a Contact Brg  Rnage ,at present no problem, bridge will normally reply  very well, keep a watch on contact and if any changes advise me of such,present range to contact not yet with in CO standing orders call me  when any contac is with in 10miles or has a CPA of five miles  (Time to take action) we know this action was NOT taken

The CRX said she sent flashing Light and no response to this I say BS, very very doubtful if any crewmmber on CRX knows light and really how does she know the Fitz is a Navy ship,most merchants dont use light ,was any attempt to establish voice communictaions on Fleet common 277.8 ,the CRX has radar but what they hell on auto  pilot who is watching 121.5 and 243.0 long gone,have no idea of what harbor control freq is .

Now what the hell was the CIC watch doing, I know when slow we played name the capitol of each state ,name the president in order for $5.00 or so, any one fall asleep,  had a classified inventory been take (each watch section reuired to do so and sign off  they conducted it) had they read Capt night orders, every Night CICO  Bridge read and sign they have read them,just what  was CIC Doing, Brief guys of what night orders read 

What was bridge doing, Look outs,Jood,OOD,After Look  out if they have one.

A Chief early on said his people in CIC functioned properly, perhaps they did so,   CIC better hope they can document of keeping bridge informed about CRX , changing Cus and was reporting  bearing range  all the  way to point of collison

Why didnt OOD take any action, well Perhaps after reading CO night orders of remain on Cus Speed through out the night just did that,

Did I tell you of an Ensign (JOOD)  who had signed CO night Orders of maintain Cus Speed through out the night and at 0200 we start to change Cus, To my Radar Operator You got any thing dead ahead you didnt tell me  about  No SR Chief  to the  bridge I go,Why are we changing Cus,, to steer away from this Island dead ahead,  what Farking island, Right  here pointing on Chart ,GD Ensign than is a coffe cup stain see the fathoms ,dont have fathoms on an Island,  You better get this ship back on Cus before the Ol Man wakes up,  in the dark a voice say's Ol Man is already up Sr Chief,  OH **** I went quickly back to CIC.

Tell me about an Ensign from NROTC, GD what did I do to deserve so many of these litte shyt heads, Their diploma says they are trainable, That is open for discussion

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:34 PM, Gotcow? said:

I've heard that the USS Porter is a ship  like the Fitzgerald  AND that similar confusion on each ship's bridge preceded their collisions.

Audio: Confusion reigned before destroyer's collision | HamptonRoads ...

hamptonroads
May 23, 2013 - The guided missile destroyer Porter was damaged in a collision in the Strait ..... I would like to see what the USS Gunston Hall bridge and CIC watch saw. ... be likely in a place like the Persian Gulf and the Straights of Hormuz.

The Most Intense Bridge Conversation EVER - USS Porter Collides ...

gcaptain
May 14, 2013 - ... destroyer USS Porter collided with a Mitsui OSK Lines' supertanker M/T Otowasan near the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf. The collision ...

How Could The Navy Destroyer Collision Happen? : NPR

npr
Jun 19, 2017 - In 2012 a sibling of the Fitzgerald, the destroyer USS Porter, was in a ... of water that connects the Persian Gulf with the Arabian Sea — when it ...
Edited by lichum

5 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

Al, you are not painting a very reassuring picture.

No I am not, over all I am not overly impressed with today's leadership, quite often it is coming up short ,it will take time to mold, train our people to become Leaders,to me far to many want to be a  Friend vice a Leader 

7 hours ago, lichum said:

Fitzgerald's damage (top pic) is close to where the Porter was damaged.

fitz.png

fitzporter.png

Maybe this class of ship needs a blind spot mirror.