Steve in Mass

Water Rescue Currently Taking Place in Wareham Near Canal?

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

http://www.capecod.com/cape-wide-news/breaking-multiple-people-rescued-after-boat-capsizes-off-warehambourne/

WAREHAM – Multiple people were rescued after a boat capsized off Stony Creek Dike between Wareham and Pocasset sometime after 4:30 PM. According to initial reports 10 people were pulled onto other boats. One person was reported to be be in serious condition. CWN will bring you further details as we get them.

Channel 5 Boston reports it to be an 18' boat....that can't be right. :eek:

WAREHAM, Mass. —

A dozen people had to be rescued and a child was rushed to the hospital after a boat overturned in Wareham.

The Coast Guard said the 18-foot boat was carrying nine children and three adults when it overturned near Hog Island Channel.

A good Samaritan called watch standers around 4:40 p.m. to report the incident and said the boat was struggling and overloaded with passengers before it overturned.

WCVB-TV
Sky5

The Coast Guard deployed a helicopter and boat crew to the scene, where they learned the Disco Volante had recovered nine of the 12 people from the water.

Other agency crews, along with the Coast Guard, recovered the other three people from the water.

Officials said one child was injured and taken to Tobey Hospital. The Coast Guard said the child was wearing a life jacket.

No other injuries were reported.

Thats like at the mouth of the west end of the canal?  Its the channel to the right , coming in from buzzards bay.  It can make up it there.  Maybe they were taking on water? 

Gotta catch these people at the ramps. CG or Environmentals could issue tickets all day every day and keep plenty of people from putting themselves in bad situations. 

heard on the radio on way into work that it was a sail boat which is even more crazy being in those waters and that a local scuba diver who just happened to be near by actually pulled the little kid out from under the hull.

It was not a sailboat, it was an 18 ft outboard that would be suitable for protected waters with 4 people aboard.   Video of them towing it showed an overturned hull with no centerboard or keel visible.   Any boater would know the difference

A sailboat rescued 9 of the people. 

A commercial diver in the area went under and found a kid with his life jacket on that was apparently trapped in the small cabin, they flew him to Boston - not a good sign

excuse me rag hauler Fred, just reporting the fake news I heard on the radio as my work computer wont  let me download videos. btw have made many, many trips in my 18 ft CC, out to Stellwagen and South of Nomans, when weather permits, but with never more than 3 on board. I think those waters would be unprotected.