Dbailey118

Mono backing

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

The other theory is that the mono flexes underneath the braid on top, giving a cushion to the non-stretch braid, which results in having less of a likely hood of a wind knot, but I can't confirm this either way. I see it more as an indicator that the fish that is running is about to spool me when I hit mono.

1 minute ago, Linesideslayer said:

The other theory is that the mono flexes underneath the braid on top, giving a cushion to the non-stretch braid, which results in having less of a likely hood of a wind knot, but I can't confirm this either way. I see it more as an indicator that the fish that is running is about to spool me when I hit mono.

Yeah thats what i would think 

I back all of my braid with mono, some like to wrap tape around the spool but I've been afraid of salt getting trapped and corroding the spool.  You have to do something unless the spool is designed for braid the line will spin on the spool.

Ive always used a mono backing because without it i feel like the braid just digs into itself as soon as you get any pressure on the line. For me the backing prevents dig ins.

I religiously back my braid with 20 yards of 20 lb test. The mono bites the spool arbor very well and 20 yards of it provides a good base for the braid. I connect the two with an Alberto knot. 

Insane to not use mono backing, imo.  As stated, it prevents braid from digging into itself and it also saves a lot of money, especially in surf reels as you don't have to use an overkill amount of braid to have a full spool.  

Call me crazy then, because I attach my braid and use tape to secure. Then fill spool up. When it is time to replace the line, I can remove what I want, leaving the other in place. Has worked fine for some pretty big fish.

What do you mean "remove what you want and leave the other in place?"  Cutting back the braid leaving it under spooled?  Or are you using braid as a backing?

How big of a reel are you fishing?  Most of mine hold 400+ yards of braid.  Do you really spool it with that much?!  If so, why??

Mono backing and 200 yards of braid for me.  If I need new braid, simply take it off to the mono and take it to the tackle shop and have them refill it with 200 yards. Easy game.  Also has worked fine for some pretty big fish.  Different strokes...

Edited by TLap21

I've been thinking about this, for you guys using mono backing, say 20lb- are you using a braid with a larger diameter than 20lb? It seems like you'd want your backing to be a smaller diameter than the braid to prevent digging 

I use old braid that I remove out of caution. I trust my old braid rather than mono which has been under pressure from the braid above it. If you use mono as backing when was the last time you replaced it? Plus having braid there gives you more total line on the reel if you are hooked up to a big fish. In the end it comes down to what you think works best for you.

I use a mono backing on every reel. My spinning reels are 5000 size and hold 300 + yds of 40 or 50 braid. The braid I use and buy is packaged in 500 yd spools. I use about 250 yds on each reel . Plenty line for anything i may hook up. I use the large neighborhood field to stretch and spool up. Convenient. When necessary I stretch and add more backing after trimming back, etc. 

Re: spool corrosion under mono.... I use a cheap mink oil to coat the inside of the spools and prevent corrosion. There are several brands fro 5 - 10 bucks for a lifetime supply. I hit the field and re coat and spool up each year. No more spool corrosion. No negative effects on line, reel or performance. Not for me anyway.

From 10+ years of working in a tackle shop, I have seen thousands of customers come in to get line re-spooled. Customers who don't back their line with mono are shooting themselves in the foot. This is particularly true of spinning reels. When I take line off the reel to re-spool it, the line near the base of the spool looks like a criss-crossed spider's web of hell. Many times we have to cut the line off rather than take it off with the machine just because of how badly knotted it is. Customers that use electrical tape fare better, but not that much better.

This is the case with a wide variety of reels that we see; from high end new Shimanos to 1980's Penn Spinfishers. When customers do have their braid backed with mono, the line almost always looks as it should deep in the spool.

On conventional reels, the line almost looks backlashed from a lack of tension when you dig deep into the spool.

Not digging down deep into the spool on every cast? That's usually true. Get a big fish to smack your bait/lure a few cranks in and now it's taking drag off your reel? Could be a striper of a lifetime? 50lb club?! Better hope your line doesn't look like hell under there.......

Bottom line, back it with mono. Uni to Uni, Albright, Alberto knot, etc. Save yourself if you hook into a fish of a lifetime, and save yourself a few bucks by not needing to spool 300yds of braid on a spool.