Oxford Chris

Show us your ( classic ) tackle

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Been perusing Silverado's tasty Lamiglass Rod and quaint Alvey reel. ( perseverance in the face of adversity )

Got me to thinking . . .

I bet we've all got something old and peachy stached away somewhere.

Let's all see it, then we can . . . . drool / laugh / cry / whatever / over it eh.

Soon as I can work out how the hell to put a picture on this forum I'll show you mine.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Old photo from the 1970's but I still have the rod and reel and they often are used.  Napa river fish, live bull heads for bait.  Penn No. 9 reel, Granger rod.

ry%3D400

Same time frame, but a Dam Quick 550 on a 7 foot South Bend rod.

ry%3D400

And the good stuff:

ry%3D400

Edited by Silverado

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, Oxford Chris said:

Been perusing Silverado's tasty Lamiglass Rod and quaint Alvey reel. ( perseverance in the face of adversity )

Got me to thinking . . .

I bet we've all got something old and peachy stached away somewhere.

Let's all see it, then we can . . . . drool / laugh / cry / whatever / over it eh.

Soon as I can work out how the hell to put a picture on this forum I'll show you mine.

I have a pair of Alvey 725's on 6 foot trolling rods for wire line, I will put up a photo later.

Edited by Silverado

Oh my !

For a while thought this topic wasn't going to turn up anything, but replies are certainly forthcoming now eh.

Silverado -   that Pflueger looks a real peach can we see a side view please ? Alvey's were never that common or popular on this side of the pond but used a lot in Australia and apparently still are. Think you can still buy a new one over there today.

Mooks -   It's so nice to see all that handwritten stuff on the " Eagle Claw "  It was pretty common on bamboo / cane rods but not so much so on fibre glass I think. Any idea of it's vintage ?

Ghostfish Slayer -  Some weird and wonderful stuff there. Is the brown reel a DAM ? The Mitchells I do recognise, can't remember which model they are. I do know that more years ago than I care to say, I had no proper sea fishing reels and pressed a couple of Mitchell 300's into surf service. After a winter lay up I looked them out, only to find that the salt spray had pretty much eaten them away ! They did make a ' sea ' model I remember, don't know if that was any less prone to saltwater corrosion though.

Thanks chaps,keep it coming. I'm hoping someone out there will have a nice old Edward Vom Hofe or two to show us.

Any thoughts on an autumnal / end of season beach BBQ where we could actually fish with some of this old gear?