Dbailey118

Canal bike

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Dbailey118 said:

I just took my first trip to the canal and found out i wasnt very prepared with my bike looking for some suggestions to improve my bike its barebones

What is your bike looking like now? Pics?

basket for your bag.  Put a rod holder on it. I use a milk carton and zip tie it w/heavy duty zips on the rear rack.  I also have a smaller basket on the handle bars for smaller items - bug spray, sun tan lotion, gloves, water bottles, etc.

Optimal setup, imo, is:

• Wald baskets on the front and rear.  The biggest one's they make and Benny's is usually the cheapest place to buy them.  
  • PVC rod holder(s) attached to the rear basket with pipe clamps.  (Zip ties also work.)  Have the rod holders straight up and down as the rod will swing very wide with angled holders when turning on the bike.  I also would recommend getting a rubber coupling so the reel stem doesn't scratch on the PVC, but that is just my OCD style!
  • Two bungy cords for securing fish if you decide to keep one.  Put fish over rear baskets and tie it down with the bungy cords.  

my bike has served me well and it helps to use a girls bike to start. Baskets plenty of baskets for gear, bait, sunscreen bug spray beer and cigars. Leo's keeps my lunch and breakfast so no need for that. Lights front an back are a good thing to have. I good loud bell to scare those that are just trying to enjoy the canal a few tools and most of all a water holder and bicycle tire pump. IMG_20150714_155903562.thumb.jpg.8ffa453c4e313f4cf19f26810978ff5b.jpg

Imo front and rear baskets are a must.  Makes like so much easier.   If your wearing waders and wading boots rear newspaper baskets can interfere with pedaling.   A step through bike also help with waders.    Give your rods room when mounting rodholders.  If they're too close your tips ( and/or rod butts) may cross.   +1 on water bottle holder and light and bell.   Attached is bike I use when not using waders.  

IMG_0142.JPG

18 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

get a girls bike. 

Interesting comment. Why would you say that? Just some snark or some logic behind gonad protection (no middle bar) that is more appropriate for a guy than a girl?

Years ago I bought my wife a nice bike that doesn't get used (hasn't been used really in 15 years??). And I've been thinking it could be the perfect canal bike with some modifications. In short a girls bike for the canal.

Probably 90% are girls bikes. Google canal bike images and you'll see.

Not good to swing leg over, topple bike and have gear crash to the ground. 

18 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

get a girls bike. 

10 minutes ago, KironaFly said:

Interesting comment. Why would you say that? 

Girls bike - unless you can swing your leg around or over your rods in the back, it's the easiest and for most the only way to mount / dismount

First, it is important to note that they are referred to as step-though bikes not "girls" bikes. This is their advantage. You can step through them to get on and ride. Tricky swinging a leg up over a top crossbar bike with your rod(s) on the back and leaning it over far enough to get on can cause stuff to cascade out of your basket(s). The really good (also expensive but what fishing gear isn't?) ones have extremely low bars. I use my eldest daughter's cast off with a Wald basket on the front and the large Wald "newsboy" baskets on the back. Central vac tube rod holders, front and back lights and a bell plus about four bungee cords. Works for me. Have a pic of it somewhere, if I find it I will post it.

Regards

Puck

Don't forget a good kickstand or two plus a broom stick or hockey stick cut down to prop up against the basket for extra support.  Your ride will get heavier with the baskets, rod holders and gear, more so than intended with the factory kick stand.  Hate to see a loaded bike go down and damage your rod or reel.