Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darth Baiter

Getting back to Search results once I've clicked on a thread

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Running Firefox on a PC.  Search in Tackle Collectors for DMag, get a list of threads, open one, and now can't get back to the Search list since the backspace/back button doesn't work and the back arrow lists about a gazillion lines of the same thread I just read.  Do I need to run the Search again or use a different browser?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Appears that in Firefox, if I scroll thru numerous posts within the same thread I generate a line of history in the back arrow drop down for each one.  Sux

Appears I can't paste print screen, 2xsux

Edited by Darth Baiter
Paste of print screen

7 minutes ago, Darth Baiter said:

Appears that in Firefox, if I scroll thru numerous posts within the same thread I generate a line of history in the back arrow drop down for each one.  Sux

You don't even have to scroll through. The history seems to be generated when the thread loads.

Switch to Chrome. Firefox has really gone downhill.  

24 minutes ago, Darth Baiter said:

Appears I can't paste print screen, 2xsux

Firefox is weird...I stopped using it a couple years ago now. Chrome is miles ahead of Firefox...you can import all your bookmarks, you will not miss Firefox, I promise :)

Don't know if you can paste images, I know you can drag them or select them. Click "choose files" - and choose the image...that works :)

Not much of a learning curve, works pretty much the same :th:

I'm going to see if I can edit the way search results are presented and have the links, if clicked, open in a new window - this way the search results will always be available in the other window :)

32 minutes ago, TimS said:

I'm going to see if I can edit the way search results are presented and have the links, if clicked, open in a new window - this way the search results will always be available in the other window

That is a feature I'd really like to see. When I search and find a five page thread that interests me, I have to click the back button 5 times to get back to the search results..

2 minutes ago, ByronPA said:

That is a feature I'd really like to see. When I search and find a five page thread that interests me, I have to click the back button 5 times to get back to the search results..

Just click and hold the back button and a list of previous page history will popup. Then scroll down to the search results. 

A bit easier than mashing the back button.  

4 minutes ago, Eagles Dare said:

Just click and hold the back button and a list of previous page history will popup. Then scroll down to the search results. 

A bit easier than mashing the back button.  

I'll try that next time..

1 hour ago, ByronPA said:

I'm a creature of habit - I ALWAYS right click on links and choose "open in new tab". Always. I've been doing it for ever...I even do it on sites where the links open in a new tab.

The back button is become less and less useful and pages are dynamically created. Modern browsers can run with a dozen or more open tabs without issue. I've got about 15 open right now - and three different Chrome windows....each with a bunch of tabs open. All told, I've probably got about 30 different pages open at once :b:

That's a lot...normally I'll just have the one window...with a dozen of so tabs :) But I NEVER use the back button any more and haven't for years. It's definitely something that's going to be used less and less as we move forward. That said, I'm still gonna try to make the search results open in a new tab :th:

TimS

14 minutes ago, TimS said:

I'm a creature of habit - I ALWAYS right click on links and choose "open in new tab". Always. I've been doing it for ever...I even do it on sites where the links open in a new tab.

The back button is become less and less useful and pages are dynamically created. Modern browsers can run with a dozen or more open tabs without issue. I've got about 15 open right now - and three different Chrome windows....each with a bunch of tabs open. All told, I've probably got about 30 different pages open at once :b:

That's a lot...normally I'll just have the one window...with a dozen of so tabs :) But I NEVER use the back button any more and haven't for years. It's definitely something that's going to be used less and less as we move forward. That said, I'm still gonna try to make the search results open in a new tab :th:

TimS

Yea, yea, and you probably type with more than one finger .....

But yes, I should get in the habit of opening in new tab, maybe I'll do that..

3 minutes ago, ByronPA said:

Yea, yea, and you probably type with more than one finger .....

But yes, I should get in the habit of opening in new tab, maybe I'll do that..

You'd be surprised...I use three or four fingers :freak: I'm pretty good at it after all these years but rarely actually use the "home row"...my pinkies never know what they are supposed to push :o

2 hours ago, TimS said:

You'd be surprised...I use three or four fingers :freak: I'm pretty good at it after all these years but rarely actually use the "home row"...my pinkies never know what they are supposed to push :o

:laugh:   How I type as well........

Not on topic, well sort of, but I have to say that I used the search feature yesterday for the first time, and did a pretty specific search for an obscure thread, and I was quite impressed with the options for searching for stuff and how to list the results..... :th:........pretty much better than any search you have ever had. :)