Rook49

Inherited some fishing lures

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

These belonged to my uncle when he died back in the 80s. They've been packed up since about 3 moves ago and I unpacked them a few weeks ago. 

Anyone recognize any of these plugs?

antique-lures-tacklebox.jpg

antique-lures.jpg

antique-lures1.jpg

A Rebel, a Helin Flatfish, and some of the others - like the two white lures in the bottom of the first photo - are familiar, from the distant past.  It's a pretty typical black bass (largemouth and smallmouth) bass tackle box from the fairly recent past.

An inquiry like this usually means the poster wants to know if they're valuable.  I doubt it, but we do have a Lure Collectors Forum if nobody here can offer details. 

3 minutes ago, BrianBM said:

An inquiry like this usually means the poster wants to know if they're valuable.  I doubt it, but we do have a Lure Collectors Forum if nobody here can offer details. 

Nope I don't want values. I don't sell things I inherit. 

/The red headed white one in the middle of the top picture look like s Bass Oreno.  Heddon I think.  Older plug but they still made them at lest into the early 80s when i was using them for pike fishing in Ontario.  There might be some older ones mixed in but you'ld need to have someone go through them one at a time.  Or just fish them.  Although I can catch bass easily enough with a Senko many days, there is something nostalgic abut fishing some of my Dad's old lures.

I also inherited 4 Mitchell reels and 2 D.A.M Quick reels from my uncle which got me interested in collecting them. I've bought quiet a few old Mitchell reels since then that were worn out and headed to the trash dump that I refurbished.

I've fished with Mitchell reels since I was a kid back in the 50s and they've always been my favorite reels. Mitchell sold approx. 40 million of them so I guess they were a lot of people's favorite reels and they weren't cheap.

I fished with an old  Lionel Airex Bache Brown Model 3 half bail that my grandpa gave me until I saved up enough money to get a Mitchell 300. 

tackle-box-old-lures.jpg

This  was me fishing with my old Airex reel at my grandpa's Three Rivers Boat Dock & Restaurant in Knoxville, TN back in 1957. I didn't get a Mitchell until about 1960. 

fishing.jpg

That's a well stocked box which you can use to catch a wide variety of fish. Contents are geared to freshwater but you can toss that stuff in saltwater too. Just make sure you give a freshwater rinse to anything that sees saltwater use. Nothing I see in the contents jumps out at me as a particularly rare or unusual lure so I wouldn't be shy about fishing any of it. More than the lures I like the aluminum "My Buddy" tackle box. I'll guess it's from the 1960's. Wish they still made stuff like that. Simpler times. Enjoy using it all.

That's a great tackle box...he certainly kept things neat and organized :th: It's like stepping back through time...not sure I would take it fishing :)

TimS

8 hours ago, FishinMortician said:

2nd picture, bottom row, second from left- MudBug I think. Forth over is a Jitterbug. I also see a Hula Popper. Your uncle kept a fine box.

Those are diving bombers. Pointed nose. Mudbugs has a blunt nose. 

Many of these are fine speciments. Even the tackle box, you don't see build quality like that anymore. Rook49, you should take better picture of the individual lures. There are certainly some rare gem in there.

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

Rook49, you should take better picture of the individual lures. 

Here are a few close ups. They are dirty with some rusty hooks but I'm afraid of trying to clean them because it might take the finish off. 

DSCN4255.jpg

This one has Heddon Punkinseed printed on it.
DSCN4249.jpg

DSCN4256.jpg

DSCN4257.jpg

DSCN4260.jpg

DSCN4259.jpg

DSCN4261.jpg

DSCN4262.jpg

DSCN4267.jpg

DSCN4268.jpg

DSCN4269.jpg

DSCN4265.jpg