Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThunnusBlue

Rod rack for Yakima bars

8 posts in this topic

Anyone know of a product that carries rods and will mount to Yakima round bars? I've tried ski racks but it doesn't work will with round bars. They have too much surface area and rotate in the wind. 

Lets assume any Yakima ski rack will work with Yakima bars - try the Big Powderhound.  Keeps the reels elevated off your roof.  If the ski rack rotates in the wind when empty, is that not a good thing as there's less wind resistance?  Perhaps rotate them forward for more aerodynamics!  The rack should not rotate in any direction when carrying rods since the rod will lock the front and back racks together in a fixed upright position.

I have Yakima round bars with a short Yakima ski racks and I drive a jeep so you don't get more wind resistance that that .

been using them for a couple of years, tighten the racks and they won't rotate

good luck

I'll check out the short rack. That might work.

I want to be able to leave the rack on my roof at all times. Too much of a pain to take it on and off. Do the short racks hold up on the highway going 80? 

I use both the long and short Yakima ski racks, and do more then eighty, tighten them up it is good. Are you using Yakima ski racks or another brand? Even if you had them pretty lose the rods would keep them from rotating, At times I use a long set and short set to carry a lot of rods, never had a problem and my short set has lasted for more then three trucks or about 25 years......Jack

One other thing if you are going to buy a rack and only own one get the large one holds more rods easily or less rods spread apart....Jack

Many racks have different hardware options that will adapt

to different shape/size bars.Pick the rack u want and contact

the company for options. Worked for me. Mine are on year round.

Also, I picked up my Yakima here in a BST trade.

My Xterra has odd,oval,shaped bars. When I contacted

Yakima they actually sent me the adapter hardware at

no charge.