BrianBM

If Sessions goes ....

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

since his successor will be all-too-visibly chosen to shut down the Russia investigations, and for no other reason, will the Senate be willing to confirm him/her? 

Sessions is said to be well liked by his colleagues, and by conservatives in particular. No one can doubt his status as a conservative. If President Trump can't insult him into resigning, I assume the President intends to fire him. If that case, he'll need to be replaced by a nominee who will need Senate confirmation. 

It'd be fascinating to be a fly on the wall for conversations between Sen. McConnell and President Trump. The Senator is having trouble with a surprisingly fractious Republican majority. The President is obsessive about his grievances, whether they pertain to the size of the crowd on the lawn at his swearing-in, or something that really does matter. He is totally focused on slights to his dignity. I suspect that the Senator is telling the President that with so many things hanging on a very thin, knife edge, he can't go and rile up the thin majority he has by his daily assaults on Sessions.  The President won't let go (he really can't, I think) of his sense of betrayal. His wounded pride is all he feels.  The agenda be damned, he will get even with Sessions. Sen. McConnell may have had to tell him that the confirmation of a successor will be long, painful and not necessarily successful, and that will not sit well with the President.  His reaction will blister the paint on the White House walls. McConnell's calm (I doubt he ever loses control of his emotions) will aggravate the President even further. 

That would be some show. 

I heard some loophole today on FOX where they said someone could get named as replacement if the senate wasnt in session (or something to that effect) and they could remain until January 2019 without a hearing.. not sure if I heard that right, but it would have to be an extreme circumstance, but it seems we deal in extreme circumstances all the time with this white house.. we'll see.. 

1 minute ago, big country said:

I heard some loophole today on FOX where they said someone could get named as replacement if the senate wasnt in session (or something to that effect) and they could remain until January 2019 without a hearing.. not sure if I heard that right, but it would have to be an extreme circumstance, but it seems we deal in extreme circumstances all the time with this white house.. we'll see.. 

Yeah, a recess appointment . But there's a maneuver that allows them to leave, while formally not in recess, thereby preventing that kind of appointment. If Reps don't do it themselves, Dems are already prepared to try to.

Poor Sessions, gave up a good gig, placed his bet on Trump, and is now being humiliated.  Hard to say, but I feel sorry for the lil fella. 

Nah, he can sleep in the bed he made. 

How is it possible that Trump and Sessions did not talk about how the Russia investigation would be handled, and whether or not Sessions would recuse himself BEFORE he was nominated?

Forget about right/wrong/legal/whatever.  I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking about how can Sessions give up his position, and go all in with Trump, without knowing EXACTLY what Trump expected?

And how could Trump have possibly nominated Sessions without making it crystal clear what he expected?

3 minutes ago, JoeyZac said:

How is it possible that Trump and Sessions did not talk about how the Russia investigation would be handled, and whether or not Sessions would recuse himself BEFORE he was nominated?

Forget about right/wrong/legal/whatever.  I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking about how can Sessions give up his position, and go all in with Trump, without knowing EXACTLY what Trump expected?

And how could Trump have possibly nominated Sessions without making it crystal clear what he expected?

To answer those questions, one would have to understand Trump and how his mind works.  That is impossible. 

1 minute ago, KnewBee said:

To answer those questions, one would have to understand Trump and how his mind works.  That is impossible. 

But what about Sessions?  How can he give up his seat without asking Trump directly:

- Do you want me to indict Hillary?
- Do you want me to squash the Russia investigation?
- Do you want me to go after Lynch/Bill?
- Do you want me to go after Rice for unmasking?

Unless you just want to retire from Congress, and serve briefly as AG to fulfill a bucket list item, how can you take that job without getting some clarity first?

Just now, JoeyZac said:

But what about Sessions?  How can he give up his seat without asking Trump directly:

- Do you want me to indict Hillary?
- Do you want me to squash the Russia investigation?
- Do you want me to go after Lynch/Bill?
- Do you want me to go after Rice for unmasking?

Unless you just want to retire from Congress, and serve briefly as AG to fulfill a bucket list item, how can you take that job without getting some clarity first?

The AG and Justice Department are "supposed" to be non partisan.  If your hypotheticals were real, then Sessions would be unfit.  Sessions is supposed to serve American justice, not a President and his whims or vengeance or whatever. 

4 minutes ago, KnewBee said:

The AG and Justice Department are "supposed" to be non partisan.  If your hypotheticals were real, then Sessions would be unfit.  Sessions is supposed to serve American justice, not a President and his whims or vengeance or whatever. 

I already said "Forget about right/wrong/legal/whatever.  I'm not talking about that."

If you look at how things are "supposed to be," and how our elected official really are, I think the far, far majority of them all are clearly "unfit."

I'm not talking about that.  I'm talking about reality, and how does one take such a big step without asking even the most basic of questions?

PS - What does partisanship have to do with it?

I truly believe that Bill/Lynch, Hillary/email and Rice/unmasking all very legitimately broke our laws and should be prosecuted.

It was only partisanship on the Left's part that stopped all of that.

1 minute ago, JoeyZac said:

I already said "Forget about right/wrong/legal/whatever.  I'm not talking about that."

If you look at how things are "supposed to be," and how our elected official really are, I think the far, far majority of them all are clearly "unfit."

I'm not talking about that.  I'm talking about reality, and how does one take such a big step without asking even the most basic of questions?

duped is my guess.  Sessions is old, maybe just not as sharp as he once may have been.  Maybe even gullible.

Just now, KnewBee said:

duped is my guess.  Sessions is old, maybe just not as sharp as he once may have been.  Maybe even gullible.

Ok, then focus on Trump.  How could Trump possibly nominate someone he that he didn't know for a fact would follow his will on those issues?

That makes no sense.

Sessions has 20 years in the Senate, he is a swamper and he is not going after his fellow swampers.

I don't think Trump had a clear picture of what he was up against. Too much family, too many business people, as advisors.

Trump has said on a number of occasions that the "lock her up" bs was just to pump the Trumpets during the campaign, he had no intention of going after her once elected.  Sessions was nominated and during the confirmation process lied under oath about his Russian involvement, but was confirmed by the republicans anyway.  He showed respect for the law by recusing himself.  Trump has no respect for ANYTHING other than himself.  I hope Sessions hangs tough, cause if he forces Trump to fire him it will be a major ****torm for the Donald.

14 minutes ago, JoeyZac said:

Ok, then focus on Trump.  How could Trump possibly nominate someone he that he didn't know for a fact would follow his will on those issues?

That makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense. Trump is an ideological and political amoeba. He likely had no plan besides "the now". And what is "the now" is obviously subject to change all the time. There is no linear thought process. 

He probably was just as sincere when he said he didn't want to charge Clinton as he is now saying he does want to. For all we know, tomorrow he may swing back to the not prosecuting thinking. Sessions may have taken him at his word when he was saying no charges, but that was "the now" then and has changed.

This is who Trump is, and everyone knows it. He doesn't follow typical thought processes or behaviours, and to expect him to, or be shocked when he doesn't, is a fools errand. 

Edited by PlumFishing
Spelling