Good thing we don't talk to SOLers in person

Rate this topic

flyangler

1 minute ago, saltydawg said:

No there aren't.  That is a major thinking error. Even in Congress, the most polarized group we have, the members fall all over the continuum. In the American public, the middle is heavily populated and the extremities are sparse

They may fall all over the continuum, and can work together on issues that are not controversial, but when well publicized conflicts of interest arise, I don't see any crossing the line to work together. 

The biggest fish in the river gets that way by never being caught.

Edward Bloom

20 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I think most centerists are alarmed about how polarized the country has become.

"centrists" "independents" "moderates"

These are the people who traditionally don't start paying attention in election years until after Labor Day, or Halloween. Many by design, many due to lack of interest, but the point is, these people become alarmed when they start paying attention and find out how much has changed since the last time they paid attention. Willful lack of interest will lead to alarm, almost as cause & effect. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

12 minutes ago, Riverboat33 said:

Just look at congress, there are two sides.

There didn't used to be. Gerrymandering and a lack of term limits have allowed, especially in the House, highly partisan members to be elected and remain there, as long as their constituents continue to put them back every election. That has created the partisan divide we see in the House, and to a lesser extent, in the Senate, as states have become "red" or "blue". 

But it also leads to the gridlock we lament today. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

2 minutes ago, Riverboat33 said:

They may fall all over the continuum, and can work together on issues that are not controversial, but when well publicized conflicts of interest arise, I don't see any crossing the line to work together. 

They crossed the line last night on the repeal vote. Again, the American people aren't nearly as polarized as Congress, and even Congress doesn't remain in their "categories." 

-

5 minutes ago, Riverboat33 said:

except when their most rabid constituents will crucify them in the press and social media when they "betray" the cause (whatever the cause du jour might be). 

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Just now, saltydawg said:

They crossed the line last night on the repeal vote. Again, the American people aren't nearly as polarized as Congress, and even Congress doesn't remain in their "categories." 

Totally agree the American people are not as polarized as Congress, displayed by the fact, most don't even take the time to vote.

The biggest fish in the river gets that way by never being caught.

Edward Bloom

6 hours ago, Sweetwater said:

His willingness to be baited by North Korea

I'm curious...do you think pretending they aren't making great strides towards landing a nuclear weapon in California is a better strategy? :b: It didn't work under Obama...look at the progress NK already made under the head in the sand strategy of dealing with them...it's frightening.

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

3 minutes ago, TimS said:

I'm curious...do you think pretending they aren't making great strides towards landing a nuclear weapon in California is a better strategy? :b: It didn't work under Obama...look at the progress NK already made under the head in the sand strategy of dealing with them...it's frightening.

According to the folks at Arms Control Wont (podcast).  NK's new ICBM is capable of hitting NYC...today.

IMO a completely valid reason to criticize the Obama administration. 

2 hours ago, big country said:

I agree.. however, for those who are on the "winning" side this time around, I know you all feel its never been this bad. but trust me.. Ive seen both sides of this.. I voted for Bush and they were tons of discussions about what a moron he was, by the dems, and from there, it just escalated during the Obama years, bitching and moaning from the right was unbearable for those who voted for Obama, and now it has grown and escalated from there.. I get your point.. its worse now, but dont act like it was non-existent in the previous admin.. hell you you had the speaker of the house saying he will do anything in his power to stop ANY legislation brought up by the Pres.. I fully admit its worse now though

That's a lotta words to say you agree...for the record, nowhere in my post did I say it didn't exist before, I only said it's NEVER been like this before :)

Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

I would venture to say that the equal amount of people on both sides have become unhinged. The hysteria does not discriminate. 

I would enjoy seeing some examples of large numbers of conservatives coming unhinged. The left coming unhinged is all over - "not my president" - marches on DC (can you imagine if hundreds of thousands of people marched on DC to say Obama wasn't their president :b: ) - attempted assassination of conservative Congress members as a baseball practice - hired thugs being paid to start fights at Trump rallies to make it look like Trump supporters were violent - liberals feigning hate crimes to make it look like Trump supporters were perpetrating those hate crimes - never ending protests - promises by dozens of celebrities to leave the country if Trump won...who, unfortunately, all turned out to be lying sacks of **** :squid:

Please, show me some examples on these levels from the right  :)

5 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I was referring to this forum. 

For every Frank and BC, there's a J and a Little to counterbalance. 

Ideologically not much of a counterbalance though; basically center vs right.

"If you know that and you don't know anything else you know more than if you know everything else and you don't know that."

8 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I was referring to this forum. 

For every Frank and BC, there's a J and a Little to counterbalance. 

I will play up the role I am cast in,

but I don't see BC as being anything other than a well grounded Trump detractor,

It's sad that simply being a vocal voice of opposition is enough to get you labeled as being as bad as me.

Eggy 10-13

LAA 7-14

50-50 2-15