Make us a reel

Rate this topic

Shipwreck

roller bearings instead of ball bearings, everywhere

that way it would be 6 times stronger and more durable but it wouldn't free spin in the shop for 10 turns

it would stop turning with just a few

and it would make for a fatter reel, which is not aesthetically appealing, yes

I always wanted to take the old Mitchell 300 design and put oil seals in it. An oil seal at the crank on the main drive gear shaft and a seal where the rotating head attaches to the body and a seal at the anti-reverse penetration along with a side plate gasket so the housing could be filled about a third full of light gear oil sorta like an automobile differential. That would make it a closed unit and pretty much maintenance free. At the low rpm's of a reel the seals should last a very long time. 

Of course if you own a reel company selling parts is a big part of the business and having a reel that's maintenance free would probably cut into the profits.

37 minutes ago, BrianBM said:

Apropos of caster 1990, I've wondered all along why there is no cast control on the TRQ star drag reels. 

The weight of the spool wouldn't allow good magnetic control.

If penn chose to machine the spool and not cast it, a much thinner walled, better balanced, and lighter spool could be achieved.

By machining with a stronger alloy Penn could maintain the structural strength to accommodate tightly packed braids.

Add this spool to the TRQ star drag and a mag system becomes very useful. 

This type of spool design and mag system, added to their spindle design, would make the reel very versatile, from throwing small lures, to extreme distances with heavier weight, on the smaller surf oriented models.

Edited by caster1990

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Ah!  A nice explanation, and an opportunity for some reel guru to make aftermarket components for the TRQ, exactly as Carl Newell used to do.

Everything that Mr. Newell had a part in has become fishing Americana.

Hopefully Penn is going to read this, because they are one of the few big manufacturers who seem to listen.

The gurus will without a doubt offer a mag system as they have for many other reels of similar spool/spindle design.

Unfortunately, the more important part of controlling this design with mags is an appropriately designed spool which is out of most reel gurus area of expertise.

Edited by caster1990

It's sentimentality, perhaps, but I haven't been able to bring myself to sell my old Newells.  I note that on Alan Tani's site, and elsewhere, there are a few machinists who are now making aftermarket parts (intermittently) for Newell reels.  Someone was making 4/1 gear sets, I think under the "Black Pearl" name, and there are others around too.

22 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

Lets go!  We hear suggestions and critiques all the time about reels.  We have some downright brilliant members here when it comes to reviews, repair, and ratings.  I love reading their stuff.  But its easy being a critic.  

So...

Build us a reel.  What you do if a major factory came to you and said, "money is no object as far as development and marketing.  Money is, however, an object when it comes to total sales dollars."?  In other words; could you build a great reel that would have everything an angler would want that will turn a profit after we spend all that money on development and marketing?

Dont care if its spinning, electric, conventional or baitcasting.  

Make your case.  If you were a Penn or Avet engineer.  Maybe Shimano or Accurate comes calling for ideas.

What would you do?  You never know who's watching.

Please bring back in production   SW Stella and  Saltiga Z  :banghd:

Edited by Keltan

You‘re at the mercy of whatever talent you have

25 minutes ago, BrianBM said:

It's sentimentality, perhaps, but I haven't been able to bring myself to sell my old Newells.  I note that on Alan Tani's site, and elsewhere, there are a few machinists who are now making aftermarket parts (intermittently) for Newell reels.  Someone was making 4/1 gear sets, I think under the "Black Pearl" name, and there are others around too.

Yes I have a soft spot for Newell reels too. I fished mine hard for years, and sold mine years ago because parts were hard to find, and resale value was high here in Hawaii. 

There are a few off the shelf sources for upgrades here these days,  and names like Ulua Junkies, Tiberon, and Brian Young are a few nationally known sources via the web.

Dual speed star drag, a guy on alan tani's forum made a 6/0 senator that autoshifts based on load. ^^ Put it in a torque chassis and throw in the makaira's silent manual dogs or at least okuma's notched friction dogs. Oh and a shaft that can really handle torquing down a star without compromising the threads.

Edited by meccalli

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Ah!  A nice explanation, and an opportunity for some reel guru to make aftermarket components for the TRQ, exactly as Carl Newell used to do.

Jamie from PMR has a mono mag with a long stroke that seems to tame the beasts reasonably well. 

As for the topic at hand, a braid friendly Z series if I had my druthers. I remember some members tinkering with the oscillation on the 706z and 704z.  I like my fireline spooled Z's just fine but "built for braid" and perhaps Penn's "versa gear" in the tried and true workhorse would make my day.  

:rav:

2 hours ago, caster1990 said:

Everything that Mr. Newell had a part in has become fishing Americana.

Hopefully Penn is going to read this, because they are one of the few big manufacturers who seem to listen.

The gurus will without a doubt offer a mag system as they have for many other reels of similar spool/spindle design.

Unfortunately, the more important part of controlling this design with mags is an appropriately designed spool which is out of most reel gurus area of expertise.

This would have been a cost-driven decision, I think.  Someone Penn-affiliated may read this, but I'm sure that the decision to go with a cast component won't change unless the market absolutely compels it.