Shipwreck

Make us a reel

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

Lets go!  We hear suggestions and critiques all the time about reels.  We have some downright brilliant members here when it comes to reviews, repair, and ratings.  I love reading their stuff.  But its easy being a critic.  

So...

Build us a reel.  What you do if a major factory came to you and said, "money is no object as far as development and marketing.  Money is, however, an object when it comes to total sales dollars."?  In other words; could you build a great reel that would have everything an angler would want that will turn a profit after we spend all that money on development and marketing?

Dont care if its spinning, electric, conventional or baitcasting.  

Make your case.  If you were a Penn or Avet engineer.  Maybe Shimano or Accurate comes calling for ideas.

What would you do?  You never know who's watching.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Shipwreck said:

Lets go!  We hear suggestions and critiques all the time about reels.  We have some downright brilliant members here when it comes to reviews, repair, and ratings.  I love reading their stuff.  But its easy being a critic.  

So...

Build us a reel.  What you do if a major factory came to you and said, "money is no object as far as development and marketing.  Money is, however, an object when it comes to total sales dollars."?  In other words; could you build a great reel that would have everything an angler would want that will turn a profit after we spend all that money on development and marketing?

Dont care if its spinning, electric, conventional or baitcasting.  

Make your case.  If you were a Penn or Avet engineer.  Maybe Shimano or Accurate comes calling for ideas.

What would you do?  You never know who's watching.

:th: What a fantastic thread! :th: 

I would improve the legendary Daiwa BG spinner.

Make them  from a  lighter metal.

BALANCE THE ROTOR.

Keep the old AR and add  an IAR.

Change the spool shape so they cast farther.

Edited by lichum

Lichum is onto something: how about a 710z with a better spool and 5:1 gears! I would be happy with the 5:1 gears.

I like the old bg reels the way they are, my bg13 has caught 100's of fish.

A 450 sized lowpro with a 65mm stainless steel main gear, stainless steel pinion, a titanium frame and side plates, a live spindle design, abec 9 BBs, and a disengaging lw.

I've had an idea now for some time for a waterproof conventional. That incorporates a 2 piece handle sideplate made of two screw down portions.  

And a sealed ar clutch mounted at the pinion (simpler version would have a staggered dog ar at the main gear) gear that runs on a conical drag surface.

a non sealed version would  incorporate the  a drag design incorporated into the non handle sideplate that takes advantage  modern silicon's

resiliance.  And come in boat matching colors...and even glow two colors when line was coming or going

in terms of looks and form vs function....Get rid of the spool tensioner, and drag star and get that handle as close as possible to the centerline of the blank while keeping the spool centered.

And the shape of the non handle sideplate would express the conical design from the exterior and be adjustable around the spool flange with a 360degree knurled ring.  It'd be the sickest looking reel while being even more functional with fewer moving parts.

It would also have no useless spool tension adjustment and a magnetic brake similar to a DC unit that is adjusted externally.  Via a slider on the outside and a magnetic switch on the inside(sounds complicated but it's cheap and easy..Nitecore HC90 style)

running on tungsten disulfide bushings internally

I also have an idea for a reel seat that is internal of the blank.

I also have an idea for a daiwa "zero adjuster" that incorporates repelling to keep the spool from vibrating during the cast similar to the alderbarens spring.

then there is fantasy land with printed magnets :)

Edited by scoobydoo

I like Scoobydoo's proposal but not with a slider magnet control.  Penn got that design, on the mag 525, from Satan.  A knob adjustment is much, much better. 

I'm aware of a reel design with a continuously variable gear ratio, and I think it was patented. I don't believe the inventor had the money to make a good machined prototype, but Daiwa does. 

Finally, someone needs to revive the automatic gear shifting mechanism designed by Tiburon.  They've done some design work with Okuma, but that feature (which apparently worked well, unlike a version made by Abu many years ago) is not currently on the market. The patent might be buy-able. 

Edited by BrianBM

3 minutes ago, BrianBM said:

I like Scoobydoo's proposal but not with a slider magnet control.  Penn got that design, on the mag 525, from Satan.  A knob adjustment is much, much better. 

I'm aware of a reel design with a continuously variable gear ratio, and I think it was patented. I don't believe the inventor had the money to make a good machined prototype, but Daiwa does. 

Finally, someone needs to revive the automatic gear shifting mechanism designed by Tiburon.  They've done some design work with Okuma, but that feature (which apparently worked well, unlike a version made by Abu many years ago) is not currently on the market. The patent might be buy-able. 

My design isn't what you are thinking.

Imagine a shimano DC brake (one of the best braking systems ever dreamed of.)  But instead of an external dial.  The dial is inside the frame protected.  ANd a channel is milled into the frame (not through it) with a magnet in that track which grabs the magnet of the internal dial to adjust it .

A modern rendition of the daiwa SS. Zaion frame, side plate and rotor (balanced of course), long cast spool obviously, machined brass gears, worm gear oscillation, screw in handle, instant anti reverse. Made in similar sizes to the OG SS.

51 minutes ago, Noodles said:

A modern rendition of the daiwa SS. Zaion frame, side plate and rotor (balanced of course), long cast spool obviously, machined brass gears, worm gear oscillation, screw in handle, instant anti reverse. Made in similar sizes to the OG SS.

that would be a helluva reel...curious how the new tat performs.

Easy peasy..........

Build the Daiwa Whisker Tournament SS out of aluminum, use quality metal for the gears, and add IAR.

Right now the pin that holds the anti-reverse dog is the achilles heel of that whole line.

(and get rid of that crappy folding handle)

If I need it waterproofed I'll pack it with grease.

Penn TRQ star drag. They already have the versa gear and HT-100 drags.

Add a much lighter machined spool to allow taking full advantage of the live spindle design while maintaining strength.

Add a spring controlled knoby mag system that adjusts when pulled out, and locks when it springs back in.