Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

October in July ( 07-25-2017 )

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Today was so reminiscent of what it is like to come back from Florida in the Fall when you go from warm weather to wearing layers of warm clothes. My mindset was just not right the whole time I was on the water. 

I think it was a straight North wind which meant it was a hard to right to left situation. The wind would allow  a normal cast from time to time but I got more than my fair share of practicing my backcast today.

This was the destination. 

P1080679sol.JPG.5f853fc3472e635814733c409c5c0ed7.JPG

I was fortunate that the rain only made it's presence known on the ride down so once I arrived it was just the wind I had to contend with.

I think I was in the water just a little after Noon which was shortly after the turn of the tide. I decided with the high water and the wind my best option was my 250 grain sink tip and a clouser. The fly of choice was the same clouser that produced so well in Chatham and it did not disappoint. 

I had two of the same flies that I used in Chatham and had to do repairs to both. They required the white be re-wrapped near the bend of the hook and new flash added. When done they looked brand new. I think I picked up about 8 or 9 fish when I lost one on a back cast and decided to go with a different fly and that produced as well.

The fish ranged from 12 to 18 inches. It was very evident that this fish has been to the dance once before. My second fly is easy to see.

P1080682sol.JPG.2fe3a77504029683ccf504545046a8d0.JPG

I was surprised to see this guy. I don't ever think I caught a Sea Robin in this location before.

P1080684sol.JPG.5f3e7c3757be7ba1e8a8564408156aa9.JPG

I decided after 3 hours and around 20 fish to head home and hit Dunkins on the way. I hope when I make my next trip it will be in more seasonable weather.

Edited by bonefishdick

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nice report.

I'll take a nice marine layer and rain over bright sunny skies just about any fishing day except on flats.

I'd rather rust then melt.

SF

Edited by Stonefish