bassturds

inshore sharks

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

its shark week. i want to go sharking. never been! i have a 20 foot carolina skiff! i can get out 5-6 miles in Cape Cod Bay. i dont want anything huge! a small blue would be awesome!! i just want to see some sharks!! 

then chum the hell out of the area? damn sounds easy! i got some big penn senators i use for cod fishing . i assume those will work. dont need a big shark, i just want to see some up close!! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 minutes ago, bassturds said:

then chum the hell out of the area? damn sounds easy! i got some big penn senators i use for cod fishing . i assume those will work. dont need a big shark, i just want to see some up close!! 

I know you don't "want one" which means....get ready for a big mako or thresher! 

Edited by brushfly

A few years ago my buddy was getting married and instead of doing a bachelor party we went on a shark charter... so much fun!

It seemed pretty simple. we used bluefish as bait and let them swim around under a balloon while we chummed.

every once in a while a balloon would go screaming across the surface and it was on.

Nothing crazy but good number of blue sharks and the cutest baby mako you ever did see.

We also hitched a very wounded bluefish over the side and let it twitch which brought a good number of sharks right to the boat.

Just tow your boat to Chatham or P-Town, plenty of big, great whites there.

However, you might need a bigger boat, just don't borrow Ben Gardner's boat. :)

Edited by zak-striper

For chum we bled a few blues in a big bucket with some water to thin it out and would keep ladling out the "broth" over the side with a few small chunks. You don't want to feed them, you just want to draw them in and get them fired up.

the blues we used for bait were around 18-22", everything bigger got bled and ground up as chum. (Keep an eye out for a cheap meat grinder.. woulda helped a lot).

19 minutes ago, bob_G said:

I think more guys need to discover the joys of shark fishing. It's way more fun than stripers. 

"They got lifeless eyes.  Black eyes.  Like doll's eyes.  When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'......until he bites ya, and those black eyes rollover white and then.......all ya hear is yer terrible high-pitched screamin'.

The ocean turns red and despite yer hollerin',  they all come in and they......rip ya to pieces."