saltyhook

Effect of long wraps ?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

As a beginner I got carried away with the guide wraps (having Fun) & made them loooong on the Lami 1201 L. Starting at the stripper guide the under wrap is 5" and gradually reducing length of wrap too the last guide before tip is 1.5" . Using Fuji KW guides- first one is seize 20 ending in # 10 runners. My original idea was this would just be a practice wrap, but have come to like the look and considering leaving it if the effect on casting is not to detrimental. This is a Casting rod and I an not concerned about the additional weight,( mostly a bait soak er) also remembering comments by senior members here who said they did not like this blank as a casting rod because it seemed to soft or mussy. So would this extra thread length make the rod a bit stiffer or what?

Saltyhook

Edited by saltyhook

Your right, best to try it out for myself that always seems  to be the most meaningful education . I have seen the" works of art' you create wthompson373, thanks for the reminder.

Wraps never make a rod stiffer. They add weight and result in a rod that feels softer and reacts more slowly. How much so depends on how much thread length we're talking about. On a very stout rod blank you may hardly notice. On a less powerful one you may easily feel it.

Thanks Tom, thats the kind of cause & effect engineering answer I was seeking. I am glad I did some test casting after the static testing for guide placement with the guides just taped on. Not sure if my memory or sensitivity will be good enough to accurately detect a change unless its a big difference. Makes a man want to get another of same blank and wrap it shorter & lighter just so they could be tested side by side.          

Either way I have decided to go ahead & finish up as is - mistakes warts & all, :eek:  I feel good about it and think it will be good down the road to look back at my first build & a reminder of all the mistakes , the fun and thrill of the spontaneity of free form design. As I see its that a big part of the beauty of hand made. As I often read other builders say "Build it any way you like".

4 hours ago, saltyhook said:

Either way I have decided to go ahead & finish up as is - mistakes warts & all, :eek:  I feel good about it and think it will be good down the road to look back at my first build & a reminder of all the mistakes , the fun and thrill of the spontaneity of free form design. As I see its that a big part of the beauty of hand made. As I often read other builders say "Build it any way you like".

I would finish it and put just one coat of lacquer to seal your work and go fish it.  If you don't like it , you can unwrap it easy?