Mr. Bigdeal

Do The Dead Walk At Night At Sandy Hook....

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Do the dead walk at night at the Sandy Hook Lighthouse?

10-29-2009-3-30-30-PM-3749749.JPG
Sandy Hook Lighthouse Photo by Anne M. Mikolay The Monmouth Journal

By Anne M. Mikolay
The Monmouth Journal

SANDY HOOK — The Sandy Hook lighthouse, the oldest standing lighthouse tower in the United States, is replete with history. The brick and masonry structure, 90-feet high with eight feet thick walls at the base, was first lit in June, 1764. During the American Revolution, the strategic location of the lighthouse south of the Hudson River, and the anticipated arrival of the British fleet, made the lighthouse a military target. Despite Patriot attempts to overtake the lighthouse, the “Lighthouse Fort” remained under British control for most of the American Revolution. Such far-reaching history makes Sandy Hook ripe for tales of dastardly deeds, secret passageways, and ghostly visitors.
Over time, fact has mixed with fiction to create folklore unique to Sandy Hook. Indeed, there are mysteries buried beneath the Sandy Hook Lighthouse. Oral tradition tells of a secret cellar beneath the lighthouse or the keepers house, which, when excavated in the 1860s, revealed an eerie skeleton seated before a fireplace (or at a table, depending upon who is telling the tale). Almost a century later, the Army Corps of Engineers unearthed the corpses of four men and one woman buried near the base of the lighthouse. Allegedly, these are not the only skeletons at Sandy Hook. According to New Jersey folklore, Captain Kidd, the infamous pirate, buried his ill-gotten booty in the pines of Sandy Hook. To this day, his skeletal crew is said to anchor their phantom vessel, The Adventure Galley, at Sandy Hook, and roam the shore in search of the lost treasure. The pirate skeletons supposedly dance in the moonlight, swords in hand, before sailing into the shadows once more.
The most popular ghostly legend surrounding Sandy Hook Lighthouse is, perhaps, that of the ghost of Captain Huddy, a prominent 18th Century Middletown citizen and Patriot.
Captain Huddy, dressed in his Patriot's uniform, is allegedly a frequent spectral visitor to the Sandy Hook Light. During the American Revolution, both Patriots and Tories had a vested interest in the Sandy Hook Lighthouse: the Patriots needed to watch British naval movements to and from New York City, a British stronghold and the British sought to protect Sandy Hook Lighthouse against the rebels who might want to destroy it to increase British shipwrecks. Captain Huddy was captured when he led an attack on British troops stationed at Sandy Hook. Falsely accused of murdering a British soldier, Captain Huddy was swiftly hanged from a tall tree in the Highlands overlooking Sandy Hook Bay, on April 12, 1782. Ever since his tragic death, Captain Huddy is rumored to wander the shores of Sandy Hook intent upon vengeance.
Of course, the importance of the Sandy Hook Lighthouse exceeds its ghostly lore. In 1889, the lighthouse became the first in the country to be lit by electric incandescent laps. It remains in operation, and is equipped with a 3rd order Fresnel lens illuminated by a 1,000 watt bulb, emitting 45,000 candle-power and visible 19 miles at sea.
As long as the Sandy Hook Light shines, the ghostly legends of Sandy Hook will not dim.

.......also the lady that roams Fisherman's Trail on warm moonlit nights !!!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Geez, of the few thousand nights I've spent on The Hook, I've only seen one "ghost".  That was an older dude dressed in WWI fatigues smoking a cigarette behind the houses that were west of the Rip parking lot.  It was shortly after they built those homes and I think some were still under construction.  I was 3/4 asleep wandering back from the rip in the wee hours and there he was.  He looked at me, took a big drag on his butt, exhaled and turned to walk the path that used to go toward the Bug Light.  Then he just disappeared.  No other goose bump raisers other than him...  It woke me up for sure!  Strange, but true...

Edited by Jettyhound

Dammit. And this whole time I thought it was lack of structure and constant dredging that had been scaring the stripers from Sandy Hook. Damn ghosts!!!!!!!!!!

Back in the day anyone who ran into us out there near dawn Sunday morning on a tournament weekend after 50+ sleepless hours might definitely have thought they saw the walking dead - and they'd be right.

^^  LOL.  I knew my life was in shambles when a hi-light in my life was when Andy K's stayed open 24/7 and had the XL coffee and a bear claw special between 11PM and 5AM for 33 cents.  Those were the days!  Or nights, as was the case...

+1. I'm sure I looked like a zombie in Dawn of the Living Dead movie after a beach all-nighter or two. Staggering around in a brain fog, hair like Kramer, 3 days beard growth, grungy, grumpy, grosss.......

-bd