brady12

Tying yourself to your kayak

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've only done it in a few instances and prefer not to be caught with my pants down in that kind of sh@t.  I think it's ok if you do get stuck in some really rough washing machine like conditions to keep you in touch with your kayak.   I will say it's best to have a sharp blade to cut yourself free if things really go south, which reminds me that I need to order another knife.   Thanks Brady.

Edited by flylikabird

If it's a paddle kayak, just use a paddle leash. Then, as long as you hold onto the paddle, you are connected to your kayak. For pedal drives, that is not an option. 

21 minutes ago, kross57 said:

If it's a paddle kayak, just use a paddle leash. Then, as long as you hold onto the paddle, you are connected to your kayak. For pedal drives, that is not an option. 

The paddle acts like a drift sock too and will slow down your kayaks drift - hopefully enough to allow you to catch up to it.

I've heard of guys using a retractable leash type set up hooked up behind them to tether themselves to their craft, i think it was something like 25' if i remember right.

So when you capsize, there's no loose chord, the leash reel keeps slight tension on the tether keeping things neat & tidy at the crash site with nothing in front of you to get fouled around legs, etc..................  Not sure how i feel about that.

I guess it addresses getting tangled should you flip, but nothings a guarantee....

IMO,This whole tether subject is a risk weighing process anyway...... when i first started paddling i use to leash my paddle all the time, that was short lived..... turned out to be more cumbersome & annoying having to deal with the leash in my way all the time & hooks getting fouled on it.

Solved the worry of losing the paddle by strapping an emergency paddle below the deck, it was just a small single telescoping canoe type emergency paddle but if i lost my main paddle i could use the emergency paddle to catch up to it & retrieve it in short order.

I tried it out one day, worked ok, wouldn't want to do any distance with it, i could though but at least i had something to use if i needed it....

If you tie yourself to the kayak just make sure you have 70' of coil.  That kayaker last night on discovery channel shark show said he was launched 50' in the air after getting breached by a 15' great white. 

I thought about this years ago and came up with a possible idea. The only way I could see tying myself to a kayak is with the use of a release style device. Consider the idea like a magnetic connection you'd see of a net for trout fishing. You attach one side to a fishing vest, one side to the net. Once you need it you just give it a good pull to separate the two halves. This is about the only way I'd consider the leash thought. It would have to be strong enough to hold your weight in water and not disconnect to easy. Then when you needed it to disconnect, just give it a good pull.  

I've used a surf leash for going far offshore with the adventure island. It's a nice safety item, but my most significant backup is a PLB I keep in my life jacket.

If you are anchoring in current then its definitely worth clipping off onto the kayak. If you spill out the kayak is going no where whilst you head for the horizon.

On 7/26/2017 at 0:03 PM, The Riddler said:

If you tie yourself to the kayak just make sure you have 70' of coil.  That kayaker last night on discovery channel shark show said he was launched 50' in the air after getting breached by a 15' great white. 

Wow! Talk about an extra point conversion.....and it's good!  Yikes!!!  I bet it'd be fun if you knew the Great White and he was your pet.   :laugh:  I saw on another website that a women was training for a triathlon in Chatham a few days ago and was followed by a the taxman and he dipped below the surface never to be seen again.    

Edited by flylikabird