55555s

The Electoral College- Can this be fixed before the next POTUS election?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

The only change I would like to see would be for all EC votes to be awarded proportionally.

It's not sound math that if you win the state of California by 1 vote that you get 55 votes in the EC.

And don't just pick on CA, treat 'em all the same, and do them all proportionally.  The actual POTUS selection would still be done by the EC, and therefore, not really subject to "mob rule," but this concept that every election starts off with the Dems having an 84-0 lead is BS.

Just now, JoeyZac said:

The only change I would like to see would be for all EC votes to be awarded proportionally.

It's not sound math that if you win the state of California by 1 vote that you get 55 votes in the EC.

And don't just pick on CA, treat 'em all the same, and do them all proportionally.  The actual POTUS selection would still be done by the EC, and therefore, not really subject to "mob rule," but this concept that every election starts off with the Dems having an automatic 84-0 lead is BS.

14 minutes ago, JoeyZac said:

And don't just pick on CA, treat 'em all the same, and do them all proportionally.  The actual POTUS selection would still be done by the EC, and therefore, not really subject to "mob rule," but this concept that every election starts off with the Dems having an 84-0 lead is BS.

Agreed

16 minutes ago, JoeyZac said:

I'm curious what this 84-0 Democratic advantage is, I didn't read this in the Electoral college documents any where??? 

If that is done, it would end up being that the red states would agree to be proportional while the blue states renege and would remain winner take all. How would that work?? Hillary would be President and never again would there be a Conservative as POTUS.  The Founders got it right (as usually is the case) so leave well enough alone.

Don't "fix" what's not broken... 

We cannot afford to let CA and NY dictate our Presidential elections... 

2 minutes ago, Jay Dog said:

I'm curious what this 84-0 Democratic advantage is, I didn't read this in the Electoral college documents any where??? 

CA and NY.

It's not in documents, and you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Don't play stupid, unless you wish to be perceived that way.

The Electoral College is a fair system of representation, weighted for balance in these United States, if overall voting numbers determined outcomes, flyover country would quickly become forgotten country.

11 minutes ago, Rickman said:

If that is done, it would end up being that the red states would agree to be proportional while the blue states renege and would remain winner take all. How would that work?? Hillary would be President and never again would there be a Conservative as POTUS.  The Founders got it right (as usually is the case) so leave well enough alone.

We will never again have a conservative as President.

A bit of history on the Electoral College by by William C. Kimberling, Deputy Director FEC National Clearinghouse on Election Administration.

It is long, so for clarity I've broken it up into relevant parts.

How prescient were the original framers.

The Electoral College - Origin and History

11-14 minutes

by William C. Kimberling, Deputy Director FEC National Clearinghouse on Election Administration

In order to appreciate the reasons for the Electoral College, it is essential to understand its historical context and the problem that the Founding Fathers were trying to solve. They faced the difficult question of how to elect a president in a nation that:

• was composed of thirteen large and small States jealous of their own rights and powers and suspicious of any central national government
  • contained only 4,000,000 people spread up and down a thousand miles of Atlantic seaboard barely connected by transportation or communication (so that national campaigns were impractical even if they had been thought desirable)
  • believed, under the influence of such British political thinkers as Henry St. John Bolingbroke, that political parties were mischievous if not downright evil, and
  • felt that gentlemen should not campaign for public office (The saying was "The office should seek the man, the man should not seek the office.").

How, then, to choose a president without political parties, without national campaigns, and without upsetting the carefully designed balance between the presidency and the Congress on one hand and between the States and the federal government on the other?