Pauleye

Striper Boat Rod Recommendation Please

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Looking for a new boat rod for stripers that can do the following things well:

• Three way an eel using up to 12 ounces
  • Three way a bucktail using up to 12 ounces
  • Live lining a porgy/scup or bunker menhaden

I want the rod to be less than $200 and prefer it to be 7' long. The reel for this rod is a Seigler SG with 50 lb braid.

I fish eastern Long Island Sound...Fisher's Island, Race, Bartletts, etc.

Thanks

It's not an acid wrap, but I have a Shimano Teramar in a 7' and 8' hvy. I use them primarily for offshore sea bass and cod fishing. They easily handle the weight you're looking for. I've jigged 20oz on the 8' and 16oz on the 7'. The rods sticker for about $150 from what I remember.

If you are fishing the race and gut your going to need to be able to swing up to 20oz of lead. Usually I find the orient rods that are built like broom sticks to be much better for that location. Swinging on big blues and bass in 130 feet of water sometimes with 16 oz can be a little tough with those newer style shimano rods. For me I got out of fishing heavy rods but still don't fish the shimano rods. I find them just very noodle like and much too fast. I had a friend build be a rod geeks blank for montauk eel fishing. It's probably rated 2-5 its 7'2" I had him add extra padding after beofre the reelseat. And the butt is extended a couple inches more then normal from the reel seat. This gives me a litte more leverage fighting bigger fish. Due to back issues I wanted this rod to be light weight and the reel to be the same. I started using the Diawa saltiga 20 in star drag. Very light set up and easy to hold and swing for hours eeling. Again I probably would fish the race or gut with this set up but for eeling montauk and sinkers up to 12 oz in water less then 100 feet I absoululy love it. Chunkzcustom rods built by Nick Meola if you are interested. He can customize it to your liking. IMG_5803.thumb.JPG.8cb3b469f77b6002aebd6b447e73b7b5.JPG

On 7/25/2017 at 9:06 AM, Pauleye said:

Looking for a new boat rod for stripers that can do the following things well:

• Three way an eel using up to 12 ounces
  • Three way a bucktail using up to 12 ounces
  • Live lining a porgy/scup or bunker menhaden

I want the rod to be less than $200 and prefer it to be 7' long. The reel for this rod is a Seigler SG with 50 lb braid.

I fish eastern Long Island Sound...Fisher's Island, Race, Bartletts, etc.

Thanks

where are you located?? i live on long island, theres a local BT shop who makes their own line of rods called Sloopster. i have their XH model and use it for bass and blues from the boat and it dominates the fish. great action, holds up to 16oz of lead. mostly chunk bunker but drift eels with it too. the rod is $110 which is a lot cheaper than the shimano. just my opinion.... look into it

Try some of the muskie rods that are out there, Shimano, ST. Croix, etc.  They are the only off the rack rods I have fished that feel right for livelining big adult menhaden on the boat. 

Jigging world blackwidow 200....it is acid wrapped 7'6" and $249.  Usually can find them cheaper with sales they offer..great multi use rod for the price. I have mine with an Avet MXJ and love it