Mikeinri

Need to buy new fluke set up. Any help?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I already have a setup I use for fluke when I'm on the boat.  Used usually for bottom fishing with squid/minnow and heavy weight (6-8oz).  This is a st croix 6'10" heavy power Medium fast action rod with a abu ambassadeur 6500 reel.

I want to buy a new fluke setup for jogging bucktails.  Something pretty lightweight but got enough backbone in case I get a doormat.  Was thinking maybe something to hold 15lb braided line.  Probably use lightweight jigs too (1-2oz). 

Don't want to spend more than I need to   And likely have budget of $400 tops.  In another note I do have another combo set up I was wondering if would work..  

g loomis GL2 6'  medium fast action with a ardent SN bait cast reel

feel like the st croix is too beefy and the loomis is too weak.. hoping I'm able to use the loomis and not have to buy another at all.. 

Check out the ghost hunter rod and a Diawa Lexa reel with the power handle from Jigging World.....fantastic.  They can be found online. Check them out. 

A Shimano Trevala S rod is another great choice, and you'll find it in most shops if you want to hold the rod before buying it. The med power rod is a good light action rod, and will do 1-2oz bucktails nicely. The rods are short and super thin and light, giving them the feel of a rod like your Loomis, but with a lot more power. It should sticker for $170

As for the reel, a Lexa 300 is a great option. You can find them on sale now as Daiwa's coming out with a new version. I'll second the power handle version that Daiwa makes. The reel should be in the $150 range now, normally $200.

I also bought a Shimano Trevala s  but it is the lighter version  I think the mid version is a little stouter for what you want. I have mine paire with a Shimano tranx a bit pricey but very light. No doormats yet but a 4 pounder was fun.  20# braid light jigs gulp and a teaser I feel everything..

I picked up the St. Croix mojo inshore series 7' MH fast action for flounder rated 1/2oz-1-1/4. Needed the MH power due to the amount of sod chunks to get snagged on and easier to jig 1oz BTs in the faster currents here. I did use 1.5oz BT boat drifting with the rod and it felt fine. 2oz would probably be no problem if you had to use it. Lightest i've used is 3/4oz and could feel everything fine. 

16 minutes ago, reelfire said:

Check out Blackhole rod lineup. I m sure you will find something to like in there.

How about the loomis set up I already have?  Too lightweight or should be ok.  I actually haven't fished thisbrod yet but picked up for LMB

28 minutes ago, Mikeinri said:

How about the loomis set up I already have?  Too lightweight or should be ok.  I actually haven't fished thisbrod yet but picked up for LMB

No one can answer that question but you based on what you like and the conditions you fish.

I've been fishing my largemouth setup for fluke for a couple years now.  It's a Mojo Bass with an Okuma baitcaster on it.  Works fine up to around 3 ounces or so.  Haven't caught anything huge on it, but a few to around 5 pounds or so with no issue.

2 hours ago, Kima said:

I've been fishing my largemouth setup for fluke for a couple years now.  It's a Mojo Bass with an Okuma baitcaster on it.  Works fine up to around 3 ounces or so.  Haven't caught anything huge on it, but a few to around 5 pounds or so with no issue.

Same here. I use my old LMB setups. I have a 6'6" St. Croix Premier fast action rated 3/8-1oz with a Shinani Citica. And a 7' St, Croix Mojo Bass fast action rated 3/8-1oz with a Shimano Curado. Both rod and reel setups are awesome. Since their for fresh water really, I just make sure they get washed down with soap and water after each use.

Edited by Pma531

I use a 7ft star stellar lite fast taper rated 1/4 -3/4 oz paired with a penn conflict 3000 as my fluke setup. I throw usually 5/8 oz bucktails with it. No complaints

Edited by genu

Gloomis has the GLX rod thats really nice, on the expensive side though.  Skinner likes the Tsuami (not sure thats the right spelling) Classic rod thats light and he catches big Fluke with them.

10 hours ago, Mikeinri said:

I already have a setup I use for fluke when I'm on the boat.  Used usually for bottom fishing with squid/minnow and heavy weight (6-8oz).  This is a st croix 6'10" heavy power Medium fast action rod with a abu ambassadeur 6500 reel.

I want to buy a new fluke setup for jogging bucktails.  Something pretty lightweight but got enough backbone in case I get a doormat.  Was thinking maybe something to hold 15lb braided line.  Probably use lightweight jigs too (1-2oz). 

Don't want to spend more than I need to   And likely have budget of $400 tops.  In another note I do have another combo set up I was wondering if would work..  

g loomis GL2 6'  medium fast action with a ardent SN bait cast reel

feel like the st croix is too beefy and the loomis is too weak.. hoping I'm able to use the loomis and not have to buy another at all.. 

i would  try the g loomis GL2 6'medium fast action with a ardent SN bait cast reel.  i have a buddy that swears by and loves his similar set up for fluke and bsb.  only issue he ever has if its deep and fast drift he can get pretty thin on the spool.  if you don't like it and have something you know you like, why not get another of the same?

11 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

A Shimano Trevala S rod is another great choice, and you'll find it in most shops if you want to hold the rod before buying it. The med power rod is a good light action rod, and will do 1-2oz bucktails nicely. The rods are short and super thin and light, giving them the feel of a rod like your Loomis, but with a lot more power. It should sticker for $170

As for the reel, a Lexa 300 is a great option. You can find them on sale now as Daiwa's coming out with a new version. I'll second the power handle version that Daiwa makes. The reel should be in the $150 range now, normally $200.

I have been looking at everything that people have been suggesting.  I really like the daiwa Lexa HD 300 xs-p reel.  I was looking at specs and it looks like it takes minimum 55 lb braid.  Will this be ok with 20 lb braid? I really didn't want to use a heavy line. Was also thinking of another st. croix rod. Id like to fish a lightweight setup for jigging likely 1-2oz jigs.  Maybe 6'6" -7'. What do you think about the action? Medium power. Medium fast action?  I have an avid series and an older model I have used for years but sure there is much better options now. Something that the lexa would fit nicely with.  If there's some other rod that everyone says is best option I'd consider.  Not married to the st croix. Thank you everyone 

Edited by Mikeinri

The reel will be fine for 20 lb. braid.  Not to worry about that part.  

There is, alas, no such thing as an all-purpose rod for any particular species.  You may and probably will find circumstances when you'll want more then 1-2 oz., though that's the weight range that make jigging flatfish the most fun. If in doubt, use or buy the heavier of two choices for those wind-against-tide days, those moon tide days, and the moments when the captain decides to fish 60' of water outside an inlet instead of the 15' inside the inlet that you expected.  So buy your next outfit to complement the one you've got, not to duplicate it, and bring both on each trip.