Dbailey118

Pencils

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Guppy and Gibbs are both great.  Just slightly different styles/actions, which comes down to personal preference.

The Cordells are also great and very inexpensive.  Many old salts load them with various amounts of lead shot to get them up to anywhere from 2.2 to almost 3 oz. 

If you're looking to boom out casts into the next time zone, get heavily arse-weighted plugs.  They cast a mile.  Some will float vertically on the surface, others will sink a bit. 

"Canal style" pencils have a flat section on  the bottom, which makes them easier to get/keep them up/on the surface, regardless of their buoyancy.

Traditional (round in cross-section) pencils have their place as well.  I find that the round ones tend to hold a better in very fast currents, as opposed to the flat bottom pencils.  This makes it easier to walk them/splash them in conditions that cause flat bottoms to just skitter across the top.

This is simply one man's experience. As always, YMMV.

HTH

Edited by Southcoastphil

4 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

If mike at M&D's has any of his old style large floating pencils they are the best ever made. 

FWIW,  ( crazybellringer) this guy is a fish catching machine, I've witnessed his fish catching ability!

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, Dbailey118 said:

Looking to see what are so good pencil poppers for the canal?

I use Gibbs 2oz poppers when the fish are breaking close to the rocks. I use 2 3/4oz Super Striper poppers when I need max distance to reach breaking fish in the middle. The SS poppers can some times dig in a little too deep when the current is ripping and there's a wind blown chop. The Gibbs work nicely on top with minimal effort.

Edited by zak-striper

Guppy are pricey but fish nice and cast extremely well. They have become my go to. Just don't worry about having 1 of each, pick a few weights and a few colors and stick with them.

1 hour ago, Sandbar1 said:

Just don't worry about having 1 of each, pick a few weights and a few colors and stick with them.

1 hour ago, Dbailey118 said:

Thanks going to try a couple thing now that i have an idea of what to look for 

I only use three colors in the canal - white, yellow and green parrot (or substitute with green mac). I've done well with those 3. I haven't felt the need to have others.

What is good depends on what you need to do. There are lotsa good pencils out there for many different tasks. When I need distance, I grab my Left Hook Raptor. 

10 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Green mac and white for me.

I just using guppies in white or maybe white with a little bit of a pink hue....i think the ones I have are 2 1/2 oz (???)....but I'm throwing a 9 1/2 foot shimano Tiralejo rated to 3 oz