gellfex

Off season visit to Susquehanna Flats

6 posts in this topic

We had made plans to meet old friends from the DC area camping on Elk Neck at the top of the Chesapeake, so I brought a couple of boats. As we're leaving Sat at 8 am they call and said they were camping there the previous night and it was so unbearably hot and muggy they left and drove the 1:20 hrs home. But they met us back there anyway, and my wife and they hiked while I launched onto the flats. 

Firstly, I had no idea it would be fresh water there! No detectable salt.  I had read that if you paddled out till you found grass there were fish there, cats, stripers and LMB. I stopped at points as I crossed the channel near the the launch jigging with a fluke setup, bucktail with gulp but with a gulp crab on the teaser, figuring it was the Chesapeake, why not? I manages this cat, I don't know which species. Only fish I caught.  I was paddling further out but the sky started looking nastier and I figured closer in where I could beach in case of lightning was a good idea. Paddled around, jigged, cast rubber eels, had a few hits but no more fish. 

5976b458bea3a_DSCF2975_modified_thjaws.jpg.ad5449867ffefcf5252332d021668e8a.jpg

I's still learning to use the Hook 4, it seems to be a far better FF than any of my previous but I'm still never sure if what I see is fish or artifacts. Anyone want to tell me what I'm seeing here? Are the diagonals rising bubbles? Note high 90s water temp!!!

5976b6f7ae379_DSCF2977_modified_thjaws.jpg.5e34dbc044ca86b15e0290acbe58995a.jpg5976b6f952473_DSCF2971_modified_thjaws.jpg.4e24693604820c70cc60dd2e829dc831.jpg

I did see a Bald Eagle swoop down and take a fish, was very cool, but too far for decent pics.

eagle.png.7c051ebe389703b07deffe4a1ebe9041.png

The trip was notable for being my 1st time fishing the Chessy, and the 1st time I took a fish on a Gulp crab. We ended up driving back to their house and having a pleasant rest of our visit in their air conditioned house and their locale. Next year it'll likely be a place with elevation thus cooler, maybe the Poconos.

16 hours ago, gellfex said:

We had made plans to meet old friends from the DC area camping on Elk Neck at the top of the Chesapeake, so I brought a couple of boats. As we're leaving Sat at 8 am they call and said they were camping there the previous night and it was so unbearably hot and muggy they left and drove the 1:20 hrs home. But they met us back there anyway, and my wife and they hiked while I launched onto the flats. 

Firstly, I had no idea it would be fresh water there! No detectable salt.  I had read that if you paddled out till you found grass there were fish there, cats, stripers and LMB. I stopped at points as I crossed the channel near the the launch jigging with a fluke setup, bucktail with gulp but with a gulp crab on the teaser, figuring it was the Chesapeake, why not? I manages this cat, I don't know which species. Only fish I caught.  I was paddling further out but the sky started looking nastier and I figured closer in where I could beach in case of lightning was a good idea. Paddled around, jigged, cast rubber eels, had a few hits but no more fish. 

I's still learning to use the Hook 4, it seems to be a far better FF than any of my previous but I'm still never sure if what I see is fish or artifacts. Anyone want to tell me what I'm seeing here? Are the diagonals rising bubbles? Note high 90s water temp!!!

I did see a Bald Eagle swoop down and take a fish, was very cool, but too far for decent pics.

The trip was notable for being my 1st time fishing the Chessy, and the 1st time I took a fish on a Gulp crab. We ended up driving back to their house and having a pleasant rest of our visit in their air conditioned house and their locale. Next year it'll likely be a place with elevation thus cooler, maybe the Poconos.

That will definitely be my kayaking spot this spring. I'm thinking of kayaking out there in my wetsuit and standing in the shallow areas casting into the deeper channels or fishing the shallows. I'm excited. How was the paddle? I don't have the fancy kayak with the foot pedal so I'll be in the same boat as you! How much was that FF? I need one for mine!

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/24/2017 at 11:17 PM, gellfex said:

I can't say for sure what your diagonal lines are but in many cases that's how schools of fish look like on mine as the fish are shooting up out of the school.  Your image looks a little suspect as there is no defined school in your image but I'm no expert.  I'd be more inclined to believe it's grass or noise in your image.  

2016-11-03_09h47_48.png

17 hours ago, lonellr said:

I don't have the fancy kayak with the foot pedal so I'll be in the same boat as you! How much was that FF? I need one for mine!

West Marine has the Hook 4's on sale right now with a map chip for $199.  I have an Elite 4(It's what is now a Hook3) and an Elite 4 Chirp(It's now called the Hook 4) on my kayaks, the image above is from my boat and is a large Garmin.  If you think it won't bother you and you can't fit it I suggest you go with the 5 inch model(Hook 5). I have trouble seeing my screen sometimes in bright sun so in the future I will buy a 5" if I ever replace them.

Lowrance seems to be the finder of choice for Kayaks.  I personally like the Garmin in my boat better but it's like comparing a Mercedes to a Ford Festiva.  I imagine the higher end Lowrance units are comparable.  Lowrance has a nice scupper mounting system that they make.  I have it in my one kayak and it makes mounting the transducer pretty slick and simple.

IMG_1148-XL.jpg

Edited by willf650

20 hours ago, lonellr said:

That will definitely be my kayaking spot this spring. I'm thinking of kayaking out there in my wetsuit and standing in the shallow areas casting into the deeper channels or fishing the shallows. I'm excited. How was the paddle? I don't have the fancy kayak with the foot pedal so I'll be in the same boat as you! How much was that FF? I need one for mine!

Paddle was hot!  The FF was $200 after a $50 rebate, but the price is very active, YMMV.

Thanks Will, there should be a page here of FF images to help us learn how to interpret these things. This is my 1st color, but I think there's more to it than that. My HB rarely showed anything that looked like a fish.