CoffeeGrinder57

Landing rays that get stuck at the beach lip

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just looking for some advice on what to do when a big ray gets stuck at the beach lip and its hard to see his tail in the water. What would be a safe way to land him, get the hook out and release him, when he is over 50lbs? I had no problems dragging smaller ones on the beach, but the big ones are really hard to land, they get sucked into the beach and i cant get them to move, mostly end up cutting my line and i hate that. The main problem is that i cant see their tail in the water, especially at night or when the water is dirty. Any advice? Thanks

Edited by CoffeeGrinder57

Use a longer heavier leader with large swivel to hold to pull out , if the hook pulls or straightens out so what , you going to release anyway. 

When big rays get stuck on the bottom then give them slack and they will swim off the bottom and then you can apply pressure again

Don't know about your kind of rays, but the ones I catch on the west coast have prominent nostrils that serve as somewhere to grab and pull. 

When they sit on the bottom, twanging the line will often get them moving. 

I've run into the same problem.  Hooked into one with a 5' wing span.  I had to cut the line.  I hated doing it but the bugger was really heavy and tough.  Must have weighed 100 lbs. 

As Uncle John advised, I give them slack and they will turn to swim away. I try to time pulling them in with the incoming wave wash,since this makes it harder for them to stick to the bottom. 

^ agrree ... whenever I have had one stuck to bottom no amount of pulling gonna move it.. you just burning energy.. slack them up and most times they will start to swim then give it all you got to keep them off it 

As was suggested, long and heavy mono leader can aid with pulling it up on the beach. Works fine for cownose and butterfly rays cause they have shorter tails with the barb at the base. Little risk of getting tagged.  Once you pop out the hook, use the holes in their heads to drag em back in the water.

Don't even both trying it with a large southern or rough tail.  Long whippy tails with barbs midway down. Not worth the risk. Break em off and hope you get something different next time.

If anyone gives you a hard time about breaking off, have them land and release for you!

Giving slack when they get stuck is a good idea, i will def try that next time. I dont like the idea of using long leader because i will loose a lot of casting distance (with fishfinder rig). Thanks for replies everyone!

Edited by CoffeeGrinder57

I use a long 100# mono shock. Couldn't budge this guy over the lip with the rod and finally realized I should use the leader. Put on leather gloves, wrapped once and pulled him straight up and over. The rod bend works against you at that point. I had all but given up trying to get him over but wanted to try to get my 3$ hook back.... which I of course still didn't and had to snip

IMG_3774.JPG