IsmailG

Penn Fathom LD2 cast control

20 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, IsmailG said:

Looking at the schematics now, looks like just the star drags in general have it. Damn 

yup just looked myself cause you got me curious... only and all the star drags have them.. 

Interesting. Anyone know why the lever drags don't have them? Guessing they figure if you are using a lever drag your not really casting anyway? I liked the lever drag because there is more max drag in case I ever needed it, but I don't think I could cast thing without it blowing up in my face lol

18 minutes ago, IsmailG said:

Interesting. Anyone know why the lever drags don't have them? Guessing they figure if you are using a lever drag your not really casting anyway? I liked the lever drag because there is more max drag in case I ever needed it, but I don't think I could cast thing without it blowing up in my face lol

Launching an "8-n-bait" off the beach may be difficult without some kind of cast control. However, for just about everything else, they cast just fine; from tiny weightless live anchovies with the little 15 size, to 5-ounce tuna/yellowtail jigs with the 40N, they cast easily and well. The Hawaiians do a pretty good "launching" with the 60 size off cliffs. The lever drag versions still don't cast QUITE as good as a star drag, but pretty close, and of course you have the fish fighting advantage of a lever drag, or even 2-speed capability if you need it.

Yeah it seems like an amazing reel, tempted to keep it just because I got it for cheap on Amazon, had 30 dollar coupon for it in top of discounted price

13 hours ago, IsmailG said:

I you are pushing the drag on your LD beyond what a star drag can put out, there is a good chance that you will crush the pinion bearing.  For that reason, star drags are usually regarded as the choice if you want to button things down.

28 minutes ago, mike1010 said:

you are pushing the drag on your LD beyond what a star drag can put out, there is a good chance that you will crush the pinion bearing

Not really true for this particular LD.  Penn used a Thrust bearing and it works.  I have pushed my 25n to 12.5 at strike and have tested 34+ lb of drag at sunset with no handle bind. Would it bind at more at 40lb.  I don't know.   The Star drag fathoms won't even get to 30lbs of drag so in his case the any fathom LD bigger then the 15 will get more drag.  The reel does have downsides but drag binding is not one of them.  

Dom

Only one way to find out how you like casting it.. i say spool that biatch up and have at it.. if you hate it look at that star drag and I'd still hold onto the 30ld2... you know that thing would of handled business on those bridge monsters you were hunting.. just saying 

On 7/24/2017 at 6:51 PM, IsmailG said:

I bought a 40NLd2 and a 25NLld2 they are both very fast. I played with adjustable mags and have tamed the 25 but still working on the 40 lol

There is a ton of space in them to play around with. the 40 has a stationary plate from a hard disc to add more mags along with the adjustable.

IMG_3996.thumb.JPG.0ae110b4f7d90482773dd2dc8b34c6c9.JPG

IMG_3998.thumb.JPG.d692efff64f2ca105ea2644512c1f1c7.JPG

5 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Only one way to find out how you like casting it.. i say spool that biatch up and have at it.. if you hate it look at that star drag and I'd still hold onto the 30ld2... you know that thing would of handled business on those bridge monsters you were hunting.. just saying 

Hell yeah that's why I got it, know I'm going back for more lol

On 7/25/2017 at 0:06 PM, Dominic Iadicicco said:

Not really true for this particular LD.  Penn used a Thrust bearing and it works.  I have pushed my 25n to 12.5 at strike and have tested 34+ lb of drag at sunset with no handle bind. Would it bind at more at 40lb.  I don't know.   The Star drag fathoms won't even get to 30lbs of drag so in his case the any fathom LD bigger then the 15 will get more drag.  The reel does have downsides but drag binding is not one of them.  

Dom

I knew they had thrust bearings, but didn't know they were that effective.   Thanks for the info.

They do bind once you get higher up the drag curve but nowhere as bad as other reels. I've yet to to see it lose freespool, i think that's mainly attributed to the sleeve between the two in spool bearings. To reduce binding even further, you can purchase an angular contact bearing from vxb. This size fits the 40's.

https://www.amazon.com/Angular-Contact-Miniature-Bearings-VXB/dp/B00G3D4PK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501288783&sr=8-1&keywords=vxb+706c