Blue Fish Does a Body Good

Rate this topic

All_Hooked_Up

I believed in the "blue fish is gross, disgusting, throw it away" cause until recently.  With my recent experience, I have been converted.

Prior to this, I had some snapper blues that were given to me and it wasn't iced right away.  It smelled fishy when I cooked it (whole with salt and pepper) and it tasted fishy and over bearing.  Yes, it was disgusting!

This past weekend, I caught a bigger blue just under 6lbs and bled it right away while keeping it in the water.  Once fully bled, I threw it on ice to be filleted the next day.  Upon filleting, I got rid of any sign of red or dark red.  Sure it's less meat but the purpose is to eat it, not throw it away.

Cut into big chunks, salt, pepper, thin beer batter (paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, flour, beer), and fried.  Hesitant at first, I took a bite and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was!  Not fishy or smelly at all!  Seriously people, a properly handled blue fish is delicious.  Blues will be coming home with me from now on.

Disclaimer:  This was fried fish for a fish and chips meal.  Not sure how it would taste any other way.

3.jpg

5.jpg

Properly cleaned and handled, bluefish can be very tasty.  I would not keep anything larger than 24" though.

"A successful man is one who can lay a strong foundation with the bricks thrown at him."- David Brinkley

43 minutes ago, splions said:

Properly cleaned and handled, bluefish can be very tasty.  I would not keep anything larger than 24" though.

I didn't measure it but this fish was probably closer to 28-29 inches.  It was still good.  The smell and flavor was not strong at all.  Fresh smelling actually.

I caught it on a magic swimmer.  The mack came from it's stomach.

1 hour ago, All_Hooked_Up said:

Also, it was a little over 6 lbs, not under as originally posted.  My b.

as said,handling is the key thing.

I've had gators that were 10lbs and did them proper and they did me proper too.also they are great smoked.

I deep fried them and added some fresh lemon with franks HS and all ya need is some very cold Ballantine ale,,,,a sportsmans dinner for sure.

H-H

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

2 minutes ago, the3fishheads said:

Range from delisious to fertilizer depending on who and how. 

Yep fresh small blues are better tasting than any bass imo. 

This is what it comes down to?? Talking about eating blues waiting for this weed to clear and warm weather to hit .. you should be out there.. maybe tonight's the night 

Also dependent on what they've been feeding on.

Blues that have been munching exclusively on oily menhaden will tend to taste like bunker (typically the case in fish caught in LI Sound, for example).  In addition to bleeding and gutting, soaking the filets in cold brine can help in this case.

Blues that have been feeding on squid (open ocean) - taste very different.

I don't like striper meat, so they usually get released.  But I'll take home a blue for the table.