Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saltydawg

Interesting/frightening read

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I am reading Sue Klebold's memoir...she is the mother of Dylan, one infamous Columbine killer. 

She makes every effort to just tell how the experience unfolded for her rather than provide any justification or excuses. She seems, for lack of a better word, very normal. The kid did not have many of the characteristics that we normally associate with such killers. It's actually hard to read as a parent. 

Yes, the SH incident was one where you could look at the family and say, "Wow, there is a lot of blame and a lot of signs." What makes this book scary is that this family was so different...good kid, well -adjusted, smart, good family. 

Columbine was a defining event in our lifetime and has had wide-ranging influences on education, guns, mental health, security, etc. I find it interesting that seemingly normal people can go so off the rails, and this gives an inside glimpse into how that happened. 

wasn't there a LOT of disturbing things in his room?

the whole trench coat mafia thing?

I am going off memory but I recall there being a bit of evidence that those kids had issues.

Eric Harris was always in trouble and was a twisted kid. The Klebold kid, who was not really even a close friend of Harris, suffered depression but was otherwise "normal." A lot of misinformation (I am learning) was reported in the weeks and months after the incident t: they were goth, they were gay, they were bullied, they were bullies, etc.