Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

A vote of no confidence.

Rate this topic

147 posts in this topic

Congress is about to pass a bunch of new sanctions against Russia for election fiddling here, destabilizing of Ukraine, etc.  The bill will pass by a margin so large that the President will sign it, having protested to no avail; the margin will be sufficient to override his veto.  

Two things.  First, I think we'll see a tweet or two within days of President Trump's signing the bill, complaining that Congress is tying his hands by refusing to let him waive sanctions at his discretion. He likes Putin, a strong leader.  The whys of that we can leave for another thread.

Second, although the President is likely to blame obstructionist Democrats for this legislation, it is going to become law because a clear majority in both Houses mistrust him on anything Russia-related. We don't have a parliamentary system, but this is as close to a vote of no-confidence as our system gets.

Mr. Scaramucci tells us that the President isn't convinced the Russians did anything to affect our election.  Clearly, Congress has concluded otherwise, including a substantial majority of the GOP. (You have to wonder what gossip is percolating from the relevant House and Senate committees into Congress; probably more then we're getting.)

Is this a forecast of a  growing Congressional wariness for President Trump?

5 minutes ago, BrianBM said:

(You have to wonder what gossip is percolating from the relevant House and Senate committees into Congress; probably more then we're getting.)

Is this a forecast of a  growing Congressional wariness for President Trump?

Anything that percolates in the halls of Congress would be would be on the street before you could say Russia.

Most of the time, yes.  Maybe not this time.  Congress may be aware of stuff beyond what we read about. I could easily see a tacit bargain here between Republican and Democratic leaders. You keep your mouths shut, Democrats, about thus-and-such, and if the witnesses don't come in voluntarily, we'll agree to issue subpoenas for their attendance, down the line.  The Republicans are keeping quiet, too, because if THEY leak what they're hearing, their base will be enraged. 

"If the President fails, better he should do so slowly, so that my voters understand I dragged my heels in his defense as long as possible. That way they may not hold his failure against me. "  That would be the logic.

Anyway, I see this as a vote of no confidence. It refers to Russia and the President's Putin-love and nothing else, but I do wonder if it reflects a slow-growing loss of confidence across the board. 

13 minutes ago, BrianBM said:

Most of the time, yes.  Maybe not this time.  Congress may be aware of stuff beyond what we read about. I could easily see a tacit bargain here between Republican and Democratic leaders. You keep your mouths shut, Democrats, about thus-and-such, and if the witnesses don't come in voluntarily, we'll agree to issue subpoenas for their attendance, down the line.  The Republicans are keeping quiet, too, because if THEY leak what they're hearing, their base will be enraged. 

"If the President fails, better he should do so slowly, so that my voters understand I dragged my heels in his defense as long as possible. That way they may not hold his failure against me. "  That would be the logic.

Anyway, I see this as a vote of no confidence. It refers to Russia and the President's Putin-love and nothing else, but I do wonder if it reflects a slow-growing loss of confidence across the board. 

And sometime a monkey beating on a hollow log is just a monkey beating on a hollow log.

It make an impressive sound but there is really nothing behind it.

Brian,

Take a look at this article.  Looks like Trump is a bit more aligned with Europe.  This is concerning them across the pond because they see the silly political BS story about Russia is going to end up affecting them in the real world.  They are not happy about these sanctions.  And if I was Trump I would be as well because he knows its all BS and going to hurt US relations with our Allies and one of two of the only other superpowers in the world.

All because the democrats simply cannot understand how they lost and refuse to accept it.  Just as O's legacy is already getting a bit tattered, history will not judge the dems well for all the obstruction and 'resist' bull **** they are pulling.

As for your question about this being a message to Trump, I dont see it that way.  I see it as trying to undermine him (again) and on both sides of the aisle (again).

Trump's denial of Russian involvement has done a LOT to create suspicions that there was some sort of quid pro quo arrangement.

denials certainly add to the notion there is something to hide,

otherwise just condemn them for it and move on.

it seems CONGRESS has recognized the pro Russia positions Trump has taken,

and they are removing his ability to realize them.

Gotcow, it could be so.  We'll have to wait and see.

Shipwreck, I'll go read it.

The only issue of real note that has been fought over, to this point in the Trump Presidency, is Obamacare. That fight has eaten most of Congress' attention span, to date.  I don't see the net result as constituting any attempt to undermine President Trump; there are real and significant differences within the GOP, as well as between them and the Democrats. 

My reading of European political moods is pretty much limited to The Economist, but I don't think the President's off-and-on attitude towards NATO, towards free trade, or towards Putin and Russia, is making a good impression. But I'll go see what that link has to say.

OK, I've read it.  The initial drafts were of great concern since the EU very reasonably suspected a ploy to advance US sales of natural gas; subsequent revisions have calmed them down. 

5 minutes ago, BrianBM said:

The only issue of real note that has been fought over, to this point in the Trump Presidency, is Obamacare. That fight has eaten most of Congress' attention span, to date.  

What about all his appointments?  Thats some serious obstructionism.  Doing a damn sight more real damage to this country than any fake Russia claim.

4 minutes ago, BrianBM said:

OK, I've read it.  The initial drafts were of great concern since the EU very reasonably suspected a ploy to advance US sales of natural gas; subsequent revisions have calmed them down. 

That article was written today.

Anyway, they would rather deal with Russia for LP instead of us?  I think not.  I think they would welcome all US energy to get away from Russia.  I dont think they like the idea because they all know its BS and it will hurt one of their partners.

I just dont know what I can point to in all this russia stuff that meets the level of sanctions that Iraq and NK are going to endure.  Hacking Podesta?  C'mon.  What exactly are these sanctions in response to?  If I was Trump and Russia and the EU was going to be pretty po'ed, I would not be happy with them either.

Its clear that "the russians" didn't change any votes so "the russians" didnt "hack the election".

Someone did hack John Podesta's email by obtaining his password...which was password.

Now the bad news. Some of you are falling for what I would refer to as a ruse. I'll give you 3 guesses who is perpetrating the ruse.

If you guessed the democrats and media you are correct.

I apologise if this has made you feel stupid knowing this all of the sudden.

5 hours ago, fish'nmagician said:

time is running out on the Trump Presidency.....

So what? Then we get Pence, which in some ways, is even better.

5 hours ago, fish'nmagician said:

........Trump's efforts to push a pro Putin agenda.

What agenda?

18 minutes ago, Shipwreck said:

What about all his appointments?  Thats some serious obstructionism.  Doing a damn sight more real damage to this country than any fake Russia claim.

What appointments are "obstructionism?"

5 minutes ago, JoeyZac said:

So what? Then we get Pence, which in some ways, is even better.

only till we throw his ass out too,

sorry, 

you vote for the ticket,

and if the headliner is tainted, the VP has a tainted win too.......