Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J

Buh BYe Snopes :)))

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Love it! I hope they lose in court. Leftists shills deserve it. 

Dear Readers,

Snopes, which began as a small one-person effort in 1994 and has since become one of the Internet’s oldest and most popular fact-checking sites, is in danger of closing its doors. So, for the first time in our history, we are turning to you, our readership, for help.

Since our inception, we have always been a self-sustaining site that provides a free service to the online world: we’ve had no sponsors, no outside investors or funding, and no source of revenue other than that provided by online advertising. Unfortunately, we have been cut off from our historic source of advertising income.

We had previously contracted with an outside vendor to provide certain services for Snopes. That contractual relationship ended earlier this year, but the vendor will not acknowledge the change in contractual status and continues to essentially hold the Snope web site hostage. Although we maintain editorial control (for now), the vendor will not relinquish the site’s hosting to our control, so we cannot modify the site, develop it, or — most crucially — place advertising on it. The vendor continues to insert their own ads and has been withholding the advertising revenue from us.

Our legal team is fighting hard for us, but, having been cut off from all revenue, we are facing the prospect of having no financial means to continue operating the site and paying our staff (not to mention covering our legal fees) in the meanwhile.

As misinformation has increasingly threatened democracies around the world (including our own), Snopes has stood in the forefront of fighting for truth and dispelling misinformation online. It is vital that these efforts continue, so we are asking the Snopes community to donate what they can. (Our suggested donation is $10, but if you can give more please consider doing so — every little bit helps.)

We need our community now more than ever, as it is only through your support that Snopes can remain the community and resource we all know and love.

Sincerely yours,

Team Snopes.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just now, HugeDinghy said:

you missed the joke

Dear God, yes I did! 

597622ee0f006_12010441.GIF.7f9ac85b62a966461793094c0a18d11a.GIF

Edited by J

So how can a contract end and yet continue its policies?  Seems like a slam dunk for any lawyer to get famous on.  Sounds like f**kery to me.

4 minutes ago, Shipwreck said:

So how can a contract end and yet continue its policies?  Seems like a slam dunk for any lawyer to get famous on.  Sounds like f**kery to me.

Some advertising arrangements have components that survive beyond the end of the contract. Depends on what they agreed to when they signed it. You can ask for/get anything you want in a contract...provided the other side are gullible enough to fall for it. Sounds like a Huddle arrangement where the same company that sells advertising on the site also host the site on their proprietary platform. It costs thousands of dollars to get this site of the Huddler platform...and it took months...and it was a nightmare. Our contract was clear as to how we would separate once the contract had expired. Yet it was still a nightmare as they practically require that you sue them before they uphold their end of the contact terms...seems to be the way it works out west among these millennial owned companies :rolleyes:  

If they didn't have clear terms in the contract regarding their separation at the end and how the specifics would be handled - most importantly, defining a clear end to when the other company could sell advertising, place advertising or collect revenue from advertising on their site - then it's going to take a sympathetic judge to change the terms that they agreed upon. If they DID have those things clearly represented in the contract, it won't take a genius lawyer to get control back. They may run into an issue where the folks hosting their website may have written into the contract some measure of ownership of changes made while they were hosting the site...that could be a sticky wicket :b:

How's the saying go? Lay with dogs/wake up with fleas? Pretending to be an unbiased fact checking website when they were anything but...hard to feel bad for them :wave:

1 minute ago, TimS said:

How's the saying go? Lay with dogs/wake up with fleas? Pretending to be an unbiased fact checking website when they were anything but...hard to feel bad for them :wave:

I am with you on this.  I am just amazed a big company like that can be duped by a provided.  Seems like they did not do their due diligence like you did, (thankfully)

Just now, Shipwreck said:

I am with you on this.  I am just amazed a big company like that can be duped by a provided.  Seems like they did not do their due diligence like you did, (thankfully)

My biggest mistake, after spending a lot of time on the terms of the contract, was NOT having a LARGE dollar penalty assigned to contract breaches....live and learn. Never would have guessed companies breach contracts with impunity when there are no financial penalties for doing so...I learned this after a very short time working with those left coasters :squid: The contracts I've had with east coast companies, owned by non-millennial adults...never had a problem. Won't fall for that again...

3 minutes ago, J said:

I covered my face in shame... :blackeye:

Dinghy can be pretty clever...always be on the lookout ;)