Tennfish

Antique Boat Fishing Rod Restoration

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I am new to rod restoration. The only rod repairs I have done have been replacing broken tips. I am asking for help on 7 rods that I have acquired over the years that have outlived their ability to function as fishing tools. I want to restore them to the point of looking restored for the purpose of retiring them to a place of honor on the wall of our home. They do not have to be fully functional, but I want to make them look good. I have made measurements and taken four pictures of them and made a list of the repairs I want to make. 3 are thick bamboo saltwater boat rods (I have labeled as A, B, and C); 2 are either fiberglass/graphite boat rods (D -spinning and E - trolling/casting); and two are hexagon shaped bamboo boat rods ( F and G). All rods will have reels attached - 6 old saltwater open face reels and 1 spinning reel.

Rod A - is a complete thick Bamboo rod 107" long. My questions for this rod are:
1. Should I add 1 - 2 eyes? and where are the best sources for finding them?;
2. Thread material and size for re-wrapping the fore grip?
3. Finishing coat varnish or epoxy for bamboo?
4. Finish coat same or different for wood handle?

Rod B - is thick Bamboo rod 97" long from tip to end of male ferrule, without a handle assembly. Male ferrule is 1.03" OD at the base where the bamboo enters and the length of the base is 3/4" before the flare reduces to .975" OD at the tip, which is 2 1/4" long, making the total ferrule length approximately 3". For this rod I need help with:
1. Wooden foregrip or other foregrip suggestions;
2. Chrome reel seat size recommedations and best sources for finding;
3. Wooden butt and some type of gimble

Rod C - is the same type as Rod B and is 101" without a handle assembly. It needs the same components as Rod B, and the Male ferrule measurements are .88" OD at the base where the bamboo enters and the length of the base is 1.0" before the flare reduces to .83" OD at the tip, which is 2" long, making the total ferrule length approximately 3". In addition to the same components of Rod B, I need to find a replacement tip as well, so any sources you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Rod D - is a 75" fiberglass or graphite spinning rod without a handle or male ferrule. It has a wooden fore grip, and the ID of the blank is .54" with OD of .86". For this rod I need:
1. Reel seat and butt handle assembly and gimble suggestions (i.e. wood? or some other economical wrap other than foam);
2. Replace 1st eye and re-wrap:
3. Blank finishing epoxy.

Rod E - is a 85.5" fiberglass or graphite casting boat rod without a handle assembly. It has a Male ferrule which measures .96" OD at the base where the blank enters and the length of the base is 1.0" before the flare reduces to .93" OD at the tip, which is 2" long, making the total ferrule length approximately 3". For this rod I need help with your suggestions:
1. Reel seat and Handle assembly;
2. Should I replace the tip?
3. Thread material, size and finish for re-wrapping the eyes.

Rod F - is a short 73" split bamboo two section casting? rod .
1. I'm not familiar with the tip, should I replace it? ;
2. Should I add 2 or 3 additional eyes? spacing? size?

Rod G - is a long 103" single section split bamboo boat rod.
1. Should I add 3 eyes?
2. How do I remove "caked on" dried finish?
3. Same rod finish as the other bamboo rods A,B, and C, or different?

I have watched many videos and read many articles, but I have not been able to find out how far the reel seat will fit on the male ferrule on the top or how far the butt male ferrule fits into the reel seat. I am excited about these project rods to get a feel for building my own rod or two for fishing once I get these under my belt. 
I hope you are able to help with my "rookie" questions, or if you cannot, at least point me to any sources you can where I may be able to get answers. Thanks in advance for your kind cooperation.

Hi

Just a few general comments. The chrome reel seats sometimes come up on the auction site however you can try to clean the ones you have with white vinegar. Wrap paper towels or a rag around them and soak with vinegar for 10 or 15 minutes then brush with an old tooth brush. For finish any varnish will do, I've tried many with good results. Minwax Spar Urethane is pretty cheap, goes on easy and looks good. How much you do is up to you but you might not want to make them look brand new. For the wood I use Minwax Wipe on Poly, I love this stuff, even refinished blanks with it. Looks good on wraps too. To try and keep the patina on the wood don't strip to bare wood, just lightly sand with very fine grit and recoat. Most important of all post pics when your done.

Bob

i agree with Surfcaster809 they look better with that patina of being old and used and if you're going to restore then i would use a good varnish, as far as replacing or adding guides Mudhole has everything you will need, well most, the rubber butt caps they don't make anymore and no one has them. I did notice one of the rods is just the top half , you're missing the reel seat and butt section(think it was "D") you can find those at some flea markets .
OK so going over your post and the pics this is how I see it : rod "A" the handle is nice, real nice,leave it alone just clean up the reel seat like Surfcaster809 said as far as adding guides well you're not going to be using it so I would say no.as a matter of fact A,B,and C all look exceptionally good they look like they are interchangeable with "A" handle. "D" and "E" are missing the reel seat butt section , like I said sometimes you can find them at flea markets, as far as the guides , again Mudhole has those guides, thread(D size) and rod varnish. Have you looked up  info on the  bamboo rods? some of them can be worth some $ , the other rods, "F" the handle looks like it was painted so you might want to do the same, just sand it down and paint it clean up the the reel seat and ferrule and that's that ,"G" the handle is good excecpt for the butt cap which you can't do much with .Anyway take it one rod at a time and take your time good luck and keep us posted

Thanks guys! I like the "one at a time" approach. I'll keep my eyes open for B,C, D, & E handles, but I included measurements on the cards for each of the rods just in case anyone on the forum has or has access to handles that would work with the rods I have.  I agree with both of you that I want them to retain an aged versus new look.  Any suggestions on making guide wraps look like an weathered finish (i.e. Spar alone) and D size thread material (silk, cotton, poly with CP or NCP or other)?  or aging new guides to look "time worn" to take the new shine off?  I have watched a ton of internet videos and read through many forums on restoration, and have Clemens "Advanced Rod Building".  However, I have not researched to see if any of the rods would be worth any significant amount of money.  None have any decals or engraving to indicate age or model.  I just acquired them over the years because I liked how they might look on display on a wall with restoration only to the point reminding an old fisherman of what fisherman used to use.  Thanks to each or you for taking time to respond and help out a "first timer".