Samba Surf

Fishbites vs bloodworms?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

SOL,

Ive been reading the posts about kingfish bait and people are referring to "fishbites".  I've looked it up and there seems to be several different types, some look like worms, some just kind of look like tape.  I was curious if there was one imparticular that works for kingfish.  Also wondering if the Gulp bloodworms I bought work or if they were just a mistake.  Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Fishbites I use for Kingfish are the "Bag o' worms" Bloodworm Alternative, they come in two sizes 1/4" and 3/8"

Use a hi lo pill float rig, cut the fishbites into inch pieces, and least amount of weight to hold/skip bottom. 

The strips have a gauze mesh which helps the bait hold on, and help reduce baiting up after each cast. 

I have never used the gulp bloodworms or any other fishbites product, so I am interested to hear what others think. 

Edited by Jsunkler

I use fishbites more so out of convenience. Ain't gotta worry about them dying or trying to keep cool.  I buy in advance of trip. Open pack and use good shears to cut into 1" pieces. I usually buy 2 packs and cut up and put all into one package. The less clutter the better.  Basic hi-lo kingfish rigs. I carry 1oz and 2 oz bank sinkers. 

Can't speak for the gulp bloodworms but will say that having used both fishbites and real bloods the fishbites work real well. I also find that when i use fish bites over real blood worms I get less stuff I am not trying to catch (dogfish, sea robins)

Just a few observations here. Fishbites are a great addition to any tackle bag because as long as you have then sealed they never go bad unlike bloods that need to be taken care of. 

During years when spots were abundant we were nailing them with fishbites here at our dock but there were so many spots that food for them was at a premium. During years when spots weren't abundant we did much better with small pieces of bloods or even clam. Only problem with bloods and clam was that we also caught baby seabass, eels and crabs. With fishbites it was almost always a spot.

A very good friend of mine who loves fishing for kingfish only uses bloods because his catch rate is always so much higher. He has tried fishbites many times but always comes back to the bloods. When he uses two hooks he will bait one with blood and one with bites. He said he never caught a king on the bite when he had blood on the other. Still they do catch fish and are great to have but if you are not getting many chances to fish and want them to count then I would go with blood.  

I will never buy real bloods again, I load up on FishBites - my local Walmart had them on sale for $2 a bag back in the winter(I bought 15 bags). I also bought a variety of different FB's from Tackle Direct since they carry all the flavors and sizes such as clam, squid and crab.

It's cheaper than buying worms by the dozen... I'm going to purchase pack and try them out for Porgies.  And if they don't work I will just give them to my sons...

Fishbites work, but do need warmish water (greater than 65F) and in general will get outfished by bloods.

I can confirm side by side fishing results that doorgunner mentioned.

That said, there is no denying the lower cost and greater convenience of Fishbites.

I never fish for these creatures but my wife's nephew is coming down with his kids, thought It might keep them busy....how about squid strips, do they catch Kings ?

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

At twelve bucks a dozen for worms I have been using beef liver and cutting them into long eight to ten inch strips half inch thick. they are great for Striper fishing even when they start to lighten in color. I also use it for Porgies and winter Flounder....AND the balance of the package get fried with onions and potatoes...... 

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

I never fish for these creatures but my wife's nephew is coming down with his kids, thought It might keep them busy....how about squid strips, do they catch Kings ?

they might, though I've not not used squid in quite a while, as it's not normally in my surf arsenal.  If you have squid and fishbites, you could do a side by side (or high and low, if you will :) )
and see what happens...

I know some folks who said they use clam successfully, but when I've tried, the clam was stripped off too fast,  by whatever, to stay out there for kings.