Wire For Fire

Japanese gear

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Got a family member going and was asking me if there any tackle or reels I want them to bring back for me.. started poking around on the interweb and my head was spinning and all the crazy amount of gear ... 

i know some of you guys are way more versed about thier stuff so anyone got any suggestions on anthing worthwhile 

What kind of fishing do you do?  There are superluxe reels for every use under the sun, superpriced lures, and so on.  

A word of advice?  If you're not fond of going into reels with your own tools, avoid things that aren't being sold in the US. 

They have quite a selection of new / used gears. But unless you know exactly what you want and the person visiting know exactly what you want and where to look, it's not worth the trouble.  Get something easier to get instead, like a good Japanese whisky.  Handmade knife, etc

Depends on what you want? Some reels are only sold in Japan such as the Daiwa Saltiga Expedition 5500H. The Saltiga BJ came out this year. You can buy this reel in the US, but you will have a good discount as the US current is stronger than the Yen. Some of the tackle shop owners don't speak english. Go to their website, look at the prices, and do the currency conversion prior to having your family member go. I know from personal experience, being there this year and bought a Saltiga reel. Went to a tackle shop and asked for the reel I wanted. I was given a difference price. Not sure if it was a misunderstanding or miscommunication as most people in Japan is respectful and nice. Good luck on your decision.

I am sure you already know this, but you can buy most reels from Japan online. You would have to pay a little more for the reel (US vs Yen) and for shipping. 

5 hours ago, BrianBM said:

What kind of fishing do you do?  There are superluxe reels for every use under the sun, superpriced lures, and so on.  

A word of advice?  If you're not fond of going into reels with your own tools, avoid things that aren't being sold in the US. 

Pretty much striper fishing ..surf ,jetty, bay ... I know they got some nice plugs that don't make there way here .. reel is a stretch as I'm pretty particular.. but some Long cast sp style plugs or poppers or big spooks or tins or the like 

5 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Pretty much striper fishing ..surf ,jetty, bay ... I know they got some nice plugs that don't make there way here .. reel is a stretch as I'm pretty particular.. but some Long cast sp style plugs or poppers or big spooks or tins or the like 

Would the US Stripers know the difference unless it says "Made in Japan" on the lure ? 

I have a fishing friend who visits Japan regularly but buys most of his fishing stuff in the USA. He swears by American made fishing tackle. I will show him this post ....... he will be amused. 

Check out Joshuya Jumbo in shibuya. They carry a lot of mid range stuff. The Sansui stores carry more of the high end stuff. I went to Joshuya and walked out with a major craft sea bass rod, a shimano exsence, some braided line, and a bunch of lucky craft lures.