foxfai

Jigging the bottom from shore

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I know this sound silly. But I tried a spot jigging for fluke from a jetty and have been successful. But for whatever reason, I keep dropping the fish right at the edge of the rock as they weren’t hook properly.

Whenever I get the fish up, I notice they are always hooked right at the edge of the mouth.

Am I jigging too fast? Hook too soon? Should I let it sit for a little bit before setting my hook?

Posted (edited) · Report post

If they are not super aggressive let them chew. sometimes you even have to drop back and let them swallow. Im guilty of this constantly. Also you can Try this instead of a sharp jerk to set the hook just lift lightly, if you feel weight then cross their eyes.

Hooking them in the corner of the mouth is a good thing, it also means that you're setting the hook at the right time. 

Edited by Humboldt Squid

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is the optimal spot to hook them besides down the throats which you don't wanna do if it's short it will most likely die if gut hook them. Hook em this way and they will not come off if you apply pressure. Sounds like your set too early. It changes day to day. Gotta adjust. Always always adjust

You can also try a circle hook some people only use circles but you have to let the fish hook itself this way. Don't set the hook with a circle it will find its way into the corner of the mouth. 

IMG_0010.JPG

Edited by Humboldt Squid

Well I hook the fish in the mouth and few that I unhook (sea robins) they were hooked in the edge. I guess I will just slow down my jigging and hook ups.

I do 90% of my Fluking from shore, always by jigging bucktails and rubbers. Sounds like you just might not be letting them eat enough. Usually when I get a hit I drop back a little, pointing the rod tip down. After a short second I'll reel in the slack slowly, if I still feel the fish I'll set the hook.

Sometimes if they're aggressive enough that day, or big enough, they'll just smash your jig. My biggest from shore was 6 lbs, that was last year. Hit like a Bluefish and took a gnarly run on me. 

Jetties are good, the shoreline itself is also good. From the jetty I like to focus on the shallows, casting horozontally to the beach. If that doesn't work then I start fan casting. When I jig from the beach I slow down my retrieve almost completely, when it reaches the point right before waves break. Just start jigging there and reeling in the slack slowly. A lot of fish sit at the break line and eat what gets washed out. John Skinner has a few great videos about this. 

I would just say to slow down a bit and see what happens. Maybe try different size hooks? I looks through tens of bucktails to find the right hook that I'm looking for. When it comes to teasers I like 3/0-5/0 Baitholders. Most fish have no problem getting hooked on the teaser. 

Good luck man.

I picked up circle streamer hooks for Fluke fishing and they are great for hooking them in their lips making it easier to release....I even tied some streamers that are working great.....

10 hours ago, Delusional said:

I do 90% of my Fluking from shore, always by jigging bucktails and rubbers. Sounds like you just might not be letting them eat enough. Usually when I get a hit I drop back a little, pointing the rod tip down. After a short second I'll reel in the slack slowly, if I still feel the fish I'll set the hook.

Sometimes if they're aggressive enough that day, or big enough, they'll just smash your jig. My biggest from shore was 6 lbs, that was last year. Hit like a Bluefish and took a gnarly run on me. 

Jetties are good, the shoreline itself is also good. From the jetty I like to focus on the shallows, casting horozontally to the beach. If that doesn't work then I start fan casting. When I jig from the beach I slow down my retrieve almost completely, when it reaches the point right before waves break. Just start jigging there and reeling in the slack slowly. A lot of fish sit at the break line and eat what gets washed out. John Skinner has a few great videos about this. 

I would just say to slow down a bit and see what happens. Maybe try different size hooks? I looks through tens of bucktails to find the right hook that I'm looking for. When it comes to teasers I like 3/0-5/0 Baitholders. Most fish have no problem getting hooked on the teaser. 

Good luck man.

Thank you! I am using a 4/0 for teasers. Could be a gulp or a fly(type), but I never get hit on those usually.

What type of hook or jig do you use as you mention you had to find the right type?

Hmmm thought I said that already. The teaser usually gets hit 90% of the time. For fluke 3/0-6/0 is common. Fluke inhale their prey their mouth arem huge even if you have a 8/0 a 18" fish will swallow it whole, no tenderizing. 

4 hours ago, foxfai said:

Thank you! I am using a 4/0 for teasers. Could be a gulp or a fly(type), but I never get hit on those usually.

What type of hook or jig do you use as you mention you had to find the right type?

It's really a preference thing. If you look at all of the different bucktails in your preferred B&T, you'll notice all the different hooks. Different styles and different sizes. 

Here's an example - 20170725_235610.thumb.jpg.d858c7d8a3747b5ee9bdd40ad1bc5391.jpgI prefer the hook on the right much over the hook on the left. The profile of the bucktail/jig hook should depend on the bait you're putting on it. I'll use longer shank with wider gap hooks for bigger baits. Typically I buy the wider gap hooks. The smaller gap still catches fish undoubtedly, my buddy uses them all the time. Its just preference.

Squid said it best, they'll inhale it regardless. Sometimes they just take a little longer to get it down to the hook, if they're feeling a bit lazy.

Losing fluke is part of the game...if you're losing a lot more than you think you should then that's a good problem to have.  Use a different hook and makes sure they're sticky sharp.  

Good info here. I'm no expert but fluke are notorious for coming undone at the surface. This isn't as much of an issue in the wash as we beach them as opposed to lifting or flipping them up onto a rock. I lost a door mat, biggest Ive ever hooked and may ever again from a Jetty. Broke my heart. Relived it 100's of times. Now I carry a very long handled net. It doubles as walking stick, measuring stick and tie off for stringer. It helps tremendously in landing fish, and limits beating throwbacks sustain.

Hope this helped. Good luck,

JD