Gill0713

October Vacation

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I live in WV, and am looking to make a possible road trip up the east coast in late October.  I'll be on vacation for almost 2 weeks.

I honestly don't even know what to ask, lol.  I obviously don't know any spots on where to go or fish.  Wanting to make a trip for striped bass.  Not sure if I should try a trip this fall, or wait till spring?

I have been to Boston a couple times for Red Sox games, but have never fished anywhere along the coast and just looking for some advice on what to do/ where to go if I would decide to make a trip.

I have watched videos on YouTube of Montauk and Cape Cod Canal.  Those are bucket list trips for me.

Thanks everyone for taking time to read this, and appreciate any input at all.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Late Oct, you'll have a solid bite anywhere in NY/NJ. The south shore of Long Island will hold plenty of fish. The NJ shore will have bass and blues about as well. Plenty of public access between both states, and a plethora of hotels and places to stay. Public places to fish in NY would include Montauk, Hampton Bays, Fire Island, Jones Beach, to name a few. In NJ, you have Gateway Nat'l Recreation area (Sandy Hook), Island Beach State Park, and plenty of places in between. You could easily plan a fish-packed two weeks between the two states, and spend minimal $$ on park fees, etc.

All these places are extremely well known, non-spot burn places.

Edited by TopwaterPete

The Florida Keys has something called Fantasy Week or Fest and it's out of control with nothing but tons of T and A body painted and in the raw.It's like the Keys version of the Mardi Gras but X-rated! INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure what weeks but book early.

5 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

There's only one place to go in October and that's the Martha's Vineyard Derby

OP mentioned late October, derby's over but still a wonderful area to fish. FWIW: Montauk's hard to beat but if the bite's even remotely close to hot, expect a lot of company.  

Edited by brushfly